Very Simple Excel Question

have data in one sheet called A making a sheet called B B needs to use a couple of different things from A from a specific column so lets say the current column is G and when it updates the new current column will be H I just want to have one cell with the value of the column… how do I get the formulas to use that value for instance if I have: cell1=A!G20 cell2=A!G25 cell3=A!G30 etc I just want one master cell with G that I can then update to H, how do I write that in the cell formulas?

…feeling so confused. :\

Indirect maybe?

cell1=A!$G20 cell2=A!$G25 etc. I think that is what you are asking

ok Ill try and write it more clearly this is sheet A column G: row20=50 row21=60 row22=70 this is sheet B: row#=A!G20 -->50 row#=A!G21 -->60 row#=A!G22 -->70 Instead of linking each formula I want one cell that just has the column value row#=Column value (in this case “G”) so now if I want to change to the next column (“H”) what do I need to make the formulas instead of A!G20 for example I want like A!"cell with column value"20 I feel like im talking in circles… just don’t really know the syntax for excel at all

Use the indirect function. In your example, it would be something like cell1 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “20”) cell2 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “25”) cell3 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “30”) Where Column_Name is the cell address containing the column you wish to look up. The cell would contain “G” in this case.

JasonU Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ok Ill try and write it more clearly > > this is sheet A column G: > > row20=50 > row21=60 > row22=70 > > > this is sheet B: > > row#=A!G20 -->50 > row#=A!G21 -->60 > row#=A!G22 -->70 > > Instead of linking each formula I want one cell > that just has the column value > row#=Column value (in this case “G”) > > so now if I want to change to the next column > (“H”) what do I need to make the formulas > > instead of A!G20 for example I want like A!"cell > with column value"20 > > > I feel like im talking in circles… just don’t > really know the syntax for excel at all Are you talking about range references in Excel? You can name a cell and refer to it on other pages. For example, say you have value 50 in a cell. You can name that cell “A” and refer to that cell from another sheet by entering “=A”. That would display 50.

Here’s a kind of clunky way of doing it: In Cell A1: (Column number)… for example, 7, since G is the 7th column. In whatever cells you want: =OFFSET(SheetA!$A$1,19,A1-1,1,1) =OFFSET(SheetA!$A$1,20,A1-1,1,1) =OFFSET(SheetA!$A$1,21,A1-1,1,1)

wutsaCFA’s method is definitely better and simpler than mine.

wutsaCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Use the indirect function. > > In your example, it would be something like > cell1 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “20”) > cell2 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “25”) > cell3 = INDIRECT(“A!” & Column_Name & “30”) > > Where Column_Name is the cell address containing > the column you wish to look up. The cell would > contain “G” in this case. yes exactly! thanks a lot man… Sorry Stranger didn’t realize you were referring to a function call the second parameter - Im assuming I want the A1-style reference? what is R1C1 style?

> the second parameter - Im assuming I want the > A1-style reference? what is R1C1 style? Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just trying to help: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=r1c1+reference+style Being spoon-fed doesn’t help you learn how to learn.