Virtual trading: Practising CFA lessons.

Guys, I was looking at www.stocksquest.com and thought we could start a group for all level I CFA candidates here at AF to try simulated trading and work some of the concepts learnt during our level I prep. Anyone here thinks they would be interested?

…and you will learn that markets are comletely efficient to anything you might learn in LI (or II or III). But if it helps you study you should do it.

Asuming that you have a charter, why did you go for the charter if its not going to be helpful in security valuation, market analysis, etc etc and to help yourself or help your clients making superior profits?

What I was wondering was if anyone was interested in forming a group on this website to do virtual trading and compete in a healthy manner while applying learned concepts?

I’m in please email me on my private e-mail hendra_new@hotmail.com

Cool cfalombok, I will collect a few more people and start this group this weekend. I will def include you.

im in too, i took level 1 bak in dec and am learning how to do some modeling. email me at bsliu17@gmail.com

Hey I’d love to give’r a shot, brendan.davis@uleth.ca Thanks

wouldnt hurt trying!!:slight_smile: shahankhalid@gmail.com cheers!!

count me in achogogo@hotmail.com

I’m in. zeck_376@hotmail.com

I’m interested. cheakes@hotmail.com

Great – we’ve got a good number of ppl. I have your email addr’s and you will get an email from me with your account set up and all details on the weekend. We can then probably start our trading sessions from 3rd of Jan (just so that noone misses the first few days due to New Year celebrations). If any of you have a later date then pls post it right now so that we can accomodate everyone. Cheers.

count me in too… dinesh.sundrani@gmail.com

I’ll do it. trey_touchstone@yahoo.com

kochunni69 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Asuming that you have a charter, why did you go > for the charter if its not going to be helpful in > security valuation, market analysis, etc etc and > to help yourself or help your clients making > superior profits? There is no eveidence that having a charter helps making superior profits. I deeply believe in education and I learned a lot of stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have learned.

That won’t justify your answer to the original post. If the market is efficient anyway (which is true to a great extend) why would somebody go for a charter learn the all kinds of techniques and try to implement them in the investment decisions they make? The original poster said “hey we are learning a lot of stuffs here and let’s see how we can put them in practice and measure our performance. If the market is going to be efficient anyway (just like you said), a professional investor is never going to outperform the novice investor.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is no eveidence that having a charter helps > making superior profits. I deeply believe in > education and I learned a lot of stuff I wouldn’t > otherwise have learned. Joey is in compliance with the Code & Standards :slight_smile: Handbook, p.135: Standard VII: Responsibilities as a CFA Institute Member or CFA Candidate (B) Reference to CFA Institute, the CFA Designation, and the CFA Program This standard is intended to prevent promotional efforts that make promises or guarantees that are tied to the designation. Statements referencing CFA Institute, the CFA designation, or the CFA Program must not • over-promise the competency of an individual or • over-promise future investment results (e.g., higher performance, lower risk). Statements that highlight or emphasize the commitment of CFA Institute members, CFA charterholders, and CFA candidates to ethical and professional conduct as well as the thoroughness and rigor of the CFA Program are appropriate. Members and candidates may make claims about the relative merits of CFA Institute, the CFA Program, or the Code of Ethics as long as those statements are the opinion of the speaker, whether implicitly or explicitly stated as opinion. Otherwise, statements that do not express opinion have to be supported by facts.

Let’s not change the intent of the original post…:slight_smile:

kochunni69 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That won’t justify your answer to the original > post. > Say what? I have to justify giving an answer in the context of my getting a charter? Who the heck knows why I got a charter. I just did and it has no bearing at all on how I feel about capital markets or really much of anything. I did what I did a lifetime ago for reasons that are obscure. > If the market is efficient anyway (which is true > to a great extend) why would somebody go for a > charter learn the all kinds of techniques and try > to implement them in the investment decisions they > make? > > The original poster said “hey we are learning a > lot of stuffs here and let’s see how we can put > them in practice and measure our performance. > If the market is going to be efficient anyway > (just like you said), a professional investor is > never going to outperform the novice investor.