voilation of rule

@sukhman11…perhaps this is the best u can do…u will know by tomorrow

closing it a minute or so earlier is fine. But starting the exam 1 min later is just wasting time

Basically we can look at it from different angles:

Not guilty : this means you claim you were not writing past time as defined by CFAI.

What would help here is if you had some ‘case law’, in other words you saw how CFAI interprets writing after time is called. It appears this is going to be very difficult to come by, the CFAI is not a public court system that keeps public records that everyone has access to. The only information we have is that everyone accused of this was found guilty of it (at least last year), and that is not encouraging to say the least.

Based on the way they phrased their rules, it appears under writing there is no difference between bubbling in a new answer, correcting an old answer, or drawing a stick man in the booklet. So basically I think this route is a dead end.

Consequently the only thing you can do in the not guilty category is say you weren’t writing at all past time called (no bubbling of new answers or correcting old answers), which means you are accusing the proctor of lying outright - and that means you will be lying. Don’t go there.

Even if by some slip of luck you got a chance to convince a panel that the proctor’s story doesn’t hold water, the investigation can drag on: months will have passed and you will be way behind the game. A bad use of your time. In 9 months you could have passed the December level 1 and be on your way to level II.

Guilty: this would mean that you admit to your mistake (underlining you were not adding new answers but were correcting a single badly marked bubble in - you may even want to indicate what number if you remember, or what scantron column) but you ask for clemency. Your only argument here really is that you came to the test with good faith and did your hard work in preparing for the exam (some evidence such as receipts from purchased course prep materials might help, and maybe a reference from a CFA instructor if you took a class, attesting to the fact that you were a diligent student and knew the material well).

The one thing I’d stay away from is stuff like: ‘This is going to ruin my employment prospects and I have no money to re-take the exam’, the immediate answer to that is ‘I don’t care’. Don’t be defensive, ask for mercy in a proper way and state clearly that you’ve learned your lesson about following the rules.

You want to be able to sit for this thing in December, not wait till next June - so act quickly and begin drafting the letter now. Like I said, studying level 1 twice is going to definitely give you an edge in level II in virtually every section, if you get in on the December session you can move straight to Level II in June of '14. The only way to stand a chance at that is to answer them with a guilty plea ASAP as soon as you get the letter. Good luck!

That’s very nice BS.

Take a second and think about this carefully: Don’t you think all the dozens of people that were accused of this and then asked for the hearing thought of whatever they could have in the “best defense”.

Not a single person was successful.

My desire was to give this person my opinion of what the options might be. I think its irresponsible to tell the person “don’t even bother” without at least taking the time to put some ideas on the table.

Unlike some people, I think this person really didn’t have any malicious intentions. Its not hard to make a mistake like this when you are stressed out and have a lot on the line. Had I felt they were being malicious I wouldn’t take the time to write this.

Personally I advise coming clean. If CFAI says they will void the result and issue a private caution, as long as its possible to register for December I’d accept it and move on. You could ask for clemency, but if that requires a panel hearing that is probably a very bad use of time. Enough said.

Who thinks that this person had malicious intentions?

S2000, again, not reading me right here :slight_smile:

Unlike some people [who may have inappropriate/malicious intentions], I think this person…

Got it.

Hate those misplaced modifiers.

Most probably in your case there is nothing serious. And what you did probably does not warrant separate investigation and voiding your results. I guess CFAI already examined your ticket and found nothing worth to start the whole process and in the end to screw your result. They are people in the end.

I’ve heard of writing on exam ticket violations getting off (as long as it is totally harmless of course , no formulas or anything)

Is this true??? I just checked my account on the CFA Web site, and it won’t let me edit my personal profile or work address under “Manage My Account”. Even though I didn’t commit any violations during the exam, after hearing some PCP horror stories, this is starting to freak me out.

All kidding aside, could someone other than OP please confirm that he/she is unable to edit personal information under "Manage Account??

SUKHMAN11- Did you receive an e-mail from CFAI that stated when the Level I results were going to be released?? Or did you ever receive that e-mail?

@tozerrt

what excatly did your screen say? or the save button simply didn’t work?

i think sometimes there could be a bug, i also couldn’t click the save button so i had to change my office address through editing my professional profile…

try this: at the homepage of your managed account, bottom right, there is a section for “Professional Profile”, click “view/edit professional profile” and go through the questions and see if you can edit it…

i still don’t believe that ability to change your profile is an indicator of investigation… it’s just a rumour i guess…

everyone should receive that email regardless they are being investigated or not

i just checked a thread on this forum itself…and on the very first page, u will find a thread with title “aaaaaa-reserved access”…u will find a person on this thread who tried logging in on cfai website and wasnt able to manage hi account roughly 3-4 weeks aftyer the exam.as sson as he clicked on “manage account”, he got “reserved access”…when he mailed to cfai customer service, he was asked to mail PCP…so i guess its pretty indicative if ur nt able to “manage account”…it might just be a violation.