Volunteer Abroad?

I am seriously considering doing one of those volunteer abroad programs. One similar to this: www.crossculturalsolutions.org I am wondering if anyone here has gone through one? The basics are that you go to another country and volunteer for anywhere from 2-12 weeks (some programs are longer) and it costs you around $2-5k depending on how long you go (essentially to pay for accommodations, food, and the program itself). I have always wanted to do something like this and I feel that my opportunity is coming up soon. I am currently in a job I dislike and will be sitting for L2 in June. My lease on my apartment ends in August and I was considering volunteering abroad in September and October of this year and possibly into November as well. Does anyone think that by going through one of these programs that my job prospects when I come back will be diminished because I took off a few months from work? Also, any comments on the programs themselves?

My little sister did one in Argentina for three weeks. She loved it. No, it won’t hurt your job prospects - employers love that touchy-feely shit.

I also have would like to do something like this someday, perhaps as part of a large say 4-5 week vacation to a foreign land. It would be very rewarding, educational and yeah, I guess it doesn’t look bad.

plus, 3rd world women are HOT

there are a bunch of orgs that will pay for your airfare and accommodation if you wanna do volunteer work (VSO comes to mind, but I’m sure there’re many others). I was looking into going to Sierra Leone for a couple of months a while ago, but was absolutely shocked by the amount of prep required to go to a place like that. You’ll need to get a bunch of vaccinations done, worry about travel documents and the list goes on. I guess it depends on where you want to go, but personally I never knew that traveling to the 3rd world can be such a hassle. That being said though, I’m sure it would be a worthwhile experience. Just my 2.

I registered with Cross Cultural Solutions and got a call from the programme enrollement manager, planning to meet her and could contemplate on doing a 3 weeker’ to India or somwhere, depending on the time-at-hand after the L2. lola, would you mind elaborating more on VSO? or sending me the contact details, so that I could set something up with them too.

http://www.gviusa.com Is another one I have considered.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > plus, 3rd world women are HOT So hot, sometimes it burns when you pee after you sleep with them. Just burning up hot.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- […] > lola, would you mind elaborating more on VSO? or > sending me the contact details, so that I could > set something up with them too. Dinesh, I dont think I can be of huge help unfortunately. I just organized a teleconference with them for our office a while ago as part of an employee incentive program we’re rolling out. Most of what they said can be found on their website ( http://www.vsocan.org/display.aspx?pid=917&cid=917 ) hth

To the original poster: there are around 30 million people living in poverty in the United States. Just walk down any city street and you’ll find dozens of homeless people. There are millions of people alone who live in Section 8 housing projects. You don’t need to go abroad to serve the world’s poor (assuming you’re an American).

Wow, I actually agree with kkent. I also don’t think it will help your job prospects, unlike skillionaire. I could see doing it if you already had a gig lined up for when you get back. But to just take off and have nothing going when you return sounds like a bad plan.

lola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > […] > > lola, would you mind elaborating more on VSO? > or > > sending me the contact details, so that I could > > set something up with them too. > > Dinesh, I dont think I can be of huge help > unfortunately. I just organized a teleconference > with them for our office a while ago as part of an > employee incentive program we’re rolling out. Most > of what they said can be found on their website ( > http://www.vsocan.org/display.aspx?pid=917&cid=917 > ) > > hth Thanks lola

dinesh are you in US?

equity_research_nds Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh are you in US? yes

u knw anyone working in Bank of America>

yep, I know a few working in BoA, Norfolk, VA and BoA, NYC … but all in IT department

u knw a guy called Sarang?

Pay to volunteer??? I promise you somebody is going to make a profit off of that. Try the peace corps…You get paid, very little mind you, the experience is great and they have a large selection of venues to choose from…From Fiji to Mongolia to Morocco. The drawback is you have to be seriously committed.

volunteer experience won’t help job prospects, it will only get you a leg up on MBA applications!

niraj_a Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > volunteer experience won’t help job prospects, it > will only get you a leg up on MBA applications! bingo you hit the bullseye!!