Volunteering

I am graduating this spring and taking Level 1 in December but given that the job market is so rough right now I’m thinking about volunteering. I am not fluent in any language other than English and am looking for a program that lasts for 6 months to a year. If anyone has participated in such a program can you please share your experience.

Peace corps

I might be wrong but I believe their programs are for 2 years, which is long than I would like.

Africa, I volunteered in Kenya and they use English as the official language.

http://www.bunac.org/

check boardnetusa.com

Condo board - you can help the treasurer with thier accounting, etc. Nursing home - you could volunteer weekends at a local nursing home to teach residents to use a computer. You can google for local residences and then call their recreation director to volunteer. Sports - call your local Park and Recreation and get a “job” as a sports coach - evenings/weekday.

This isn’t at all a full time gig but the Big Brother/Sister program is awesome. I got hooked up with free courtside Celtics tickets last year, free movie tickets, museums etc. Plus you’re helping a little kid out who needs it.

A couple of my favorite volunteer things included teaching tennis at public courts, and also mentoring academically-gifted junior high school kids from at-risk neighborhoods. Volunteernig is a lot more fun when you feel like you can really contribute to someone else’s life in a meaningful way, and where you can put your own skills to good use.

numi Wrote: > Volunteernig is a > lot more fun when you feel like you can really > contribute to someone else’s life in a meaningful > way, and where you can put your own skills to good > use. +1 My friend did peace corps in Africa for a 2-yr commitment. She dropped out after a few months because all they had her doing was digging irrigation ditches or something. Also, see the movie Volunteers with Tom Hanks and John Candy. Awesome.

Not meeting the OP’s specific request, but a good volunteer program is the HOSTS (Help One Student To Succeed) where you read to children. Those kids love you…

check out Kiva (www.kiva.org)

volunteerabroad.com