Waffle makers?

Since I have two kids that like waffles, I’m thinking about getting one of these. Since I’ve never owned one, I’m looking for recommendations. Basically, I want something that’s easy to clean and doesn’t take up a lot of counter space. Anybody have any experience with these things?

We have had a VillaWare waffle iron for years: it’s relatively small and easy to clean. (Note: pretty much all waffle irons are easy to clean.)

I just looked at VillaWare’s website and the only waffle iron they have is some super-fancy, flip-over, Belgian waffle maker that probably costs a fortune: http://www.villaware.com/products/villaware-belgian-flip-waffle-maker/NDVLWFBFS1.html#start=1

Once you find a waffle iron you like, let me make a couple of suggestions about the batter:

1. Melt the butter first, then whisk the egg yolks into the melted butter, then the milk (or, better, buttermilk) slowly. If you follow most recipes by whicking the egg yolks, then adding the milk, then adding the butter, the butter will clump when it hits the cold milk.
  2. Beat the egg whites separately and fold them in at the end: you’ll get much lighter waffles.

Just buy Eggo waffles. I have a waffle iron, think it’s Cuisinart, and use it maybe 2x per year. Makes nice waffles, but not worth the effort.

Agree with higgmond, waffles are somewhat laborious, but now I´d like to have some…

Somewhat laborious?

I can whip up waffle batter in 15 minutes.

And compared to real waffles, Eggos are garbage.

I have a cusiniart. I use it maybe 2 times a year.

That said, if I were to buy it again, I’d get the flip over one.

I’ve seen a commercial where you can make perfect omletes with a waffle maker in under 2 minutes. I am thinkng of repurposing mine.

Shouldn’t your woman be making you waffles?

I’ve already finished my Eggos in the 15 minutes it takes to whip up waffle batter. I agree that home made waffles are far superior, but usually not worth the effort, particularly when feeding the kids.

And I’ve spent an extra 15 minutes with my kids.

I know all about feeding kids; my wife and I reared three. At 33, 31, and 29, they remember homemade waffles as kids. I doubt they’d remember Eggos.

It’s worth the effort.

I have to agree. Although I’ve never made waffles, my toddler loves it when I make him pancakes from scratch. He also gets eggos from time to time but he never has anything to say about them.

^^ My kids put the Eggo’s into the toaster with me and we get other parts of breakfast ready while they toast. It’s great that you and the family enjoyed your waffles, but waffle makers are one of those things that 97.485% of people will buy and almost never use. You just happen to be part of the other 2.515%.

Are waffles really that different from pancakes? Isn’t the mix basically the same?

Your kids sit there and watch you make batter? Sounds boring, Higgs probably did way cooler stuff with those extra 15 minutes so his kids probably love him more.

My mom made homemade stuff breakfast foods. That being said, I still remember and love Eggos to this day. In fact I want eggos now.

You typically add a bit of veggie oil for waffles, otherwise the same assuming you are using Aunt Jemima or something similar. I imagine S2000 has a centuries old family recipe that it significantly different though.

Not centuries old, nor family: it comes from the 1975 edition of The Joy of Cooking.

Waffle batter has a lot more butter than pancake batter; it makes the waffles crispier.

Well, the kids would help, actually.

And evidently they didn’t consider it boring: they now make waffles from scratch.

I lost my copy when the waffle maker shorted out and burned my house down. A tip for all the chefs out there, check the date on your fire extinguisher before making waffles.

I got bored just reading this.

It must be truly inspiring to think that George Washington might have eaten those exact waffles using a recipe from his time traveling cook book.