Was my interview fail?

I had an interview two weeks ago, and met three person, hiring manager,senior team member and manager from other group. Last week, I got a call from HR said they want to have 2nd round interview with me. It is a phone interview with VP. Today, the VP called me, he just asked 5-6 questions, 2-3 technical questions, salary expection, when can I start work, and why want to leave current employer. he said there are two candidates who entered into final interview, and we have total different skill set( i am more technical and more experienced, and another one has more soft skills???) but my interview just last 10 mins…I felt it was too short…

After reading that post, it is clear that English is not your native language. Try not to worry about it. It’s human nature to analyze everything you said and did after going through something like an interview. Just relax and hope for the best. Good luck!

All your bases are belong to us

Second round interview over the phone?? I thought JT Marlin wasn’t around anymore.

by him saying the other guy has more “soft skills”, it probably means his english is better and he/she will fit better among the team. Is the role client facing?? because if it is, the other person has a major advantage over you

soft skills trump hard skills anyday. soft skills = hot classy babe who knows how to wear the heels and cross her legs hard skills = good at programming in excel hmm…who would you choose?

^ Especially if they are looking for a junior person not doing anything too important or difficult. I constantly see far less qualified girls get good finance jobs for no other reason except that they make good eye-candy. It sounds horrible, and I don’t agree with it personally, but I see it everywhere. I even heard one senior MD blatantly say it. hot girl with decent background > CFA

You know, I’ve come across this a lot and generally not said anything because I don’t want to sound like a d*ck. But I always run across people with very poor English or too heavy of an accent taking programing courses or studying hard skills. If you’re looking at career advancement and you’re gonna put time into developing skills, the best bang for your buck is going to be speech classes aimed at eliminating heavy accents and improving grammar.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know, I’ve come across this a lot and > generally not said anything because I don’t want > to sound like a d*ck. But I always run across > people with very poor English or too heavy of an > accent taking programing courses or studying hard > skills. If you’re looking at career advancement > and you’re gonna put time into developing skills, > the best bang for your buck is going to be speech > classes aimed at eliminating heavy accents and > improving grammar. Completely agree. These are the same types to stack their resume with degrees etc.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hot classy babe who knows how to wear the heels and cross her legs In some ways its surprising that this is a skill, but its very true that some do it far better than others…

What’s the role? It’s not clearly a fail. Soft skills are important, but so are technical skills. If it is an investor relations or sales role, soft skills are very important. If its a client-facing role, and there’s analysis, both are important. If you are middle or back office, technical skills are important and the soft skills fall into the “can you convince us that we’ll enjoy being around you and you’ll make our lives easier.” The key soft skill for a job like that is to be able to anticipate your clients needs. Being able to say “yes, I thought you might ask this, and so here’s the answer all ready for you” is usually a good thing, when it means you’ve helped them out. If it’s front office, then soft skills are important, but so is experience and the projection of technical know how. Just because someone has soft skills and you think you don’t doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have any. So it really depends on the requirements of the role. Nothing you’ve told me indicates that you failed. Sometimes people have made a decision and just want to check up on a few points. It could go either way, and I wouldn’t sweat any more than normal about it.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > hot classy babe who knows how to wear the heels > and cross her legs > > In some ways its surprising that this is a skill, > but its very true that some do it far better than > others…

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Especially if they are looking for a junior > person not doing anything too important or > difficult. > > I constantly see far less qualified girls get good > finance jobs for no other reason except that they > make good eye-candy. It sounds horrible, and I > don’t agree with it personally, but I see it > everywhere. I even heard one senior MD blatantly > say it. > > hot girl with decent background > CFA Absolutely. This is such a female dominated industry! Senior management at pretty much every major financial firm is made up of hot chicks. It’s like girls of the playboy mansion on Wall Street these days, right? That must be why you didn’t get the call back dude. Tough break.

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > While upper management at financial companies is not dominated by women, I’m sure you will agree that there is a niche job market for hot female applicants, even if this niche is a relatively small part of the industry.

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ Especially if they are looking for a junior > > person not doing anything too important or > > difficult. > > > > I constantly see far less qualified girls get > good > > finance jobs for no other reason except that > they > > make good eye-candy. It sounds horrible, and I > > don’t agree with it personally, but I see it > > everywhere. I even heard one senior MD > blatantly > > say it. > > > > hot girl with decent background > CFA > > Absolutely. This is such a female dominated > industry! Senior management at pretty much every > major financial firm is made up of hot chicks. > It’s like girls of the playboy mansion on Wall > Street these days, right? That must be why you > didn’t get the call back dude. Tough break. The person who posted this comment is not the OP. moron.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > hot classy babe who knows how to wear the heels > and cross her legs > > In some ways its surprising that this is a skill, > but its very true that some do it far better than > others… Of course this is a skill. Certain girls can’t wear heels. their ankles start to shake, has absolutely no posture. its an art. certain leg types are not built for it either. its not easy. certainly more difficult than financial modelling in my view, and a lot better for the world.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Second round interview over the phone?? I > thought JT Marlin wasn’t around anymore. Chuckrox8 - you can never keep JT Marlin down.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All your bases are belong to us No plural. “All your base are belong to us.”

I think the hiring managers should start focusing on basic articulation and writing skills of candidates. When the times are tough and I request some important information from someone in another country, my eyes bleed when I fail to properly comprehend mails in poor English.

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > newsuper Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > All your bases are belong to us > > No plural. > > “All your base are belong to us.” yeah, my bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsijmCFs50&noredirect=1