Watches - Help me decide

Yellow, otherwise it’s just a speedmaster pro.Are you going SS bracelet or rubber? You can get your own leather bands after so the decision is really stock bands you can’t get.

Not sure if you are comfortable going vintage but this was always my favourite racing version:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/speedmaster-racing-4130-jpg.332251/

I like that - kind of looks like the Schumacher edition?

I want to buy new, leaning towards the yellow hands. I would think SS bracelet since it would be more expensive to buy than a rubber strap? I could be wrong about this but I do want both, although the SS is a must and the rubber is a want.

Avoid garish details like those yellow accents if this is to be a watch you wear often and with many different kinds of attire. With Speedmaster watches, try to pick something that resembles the classic Speedmaster look, as these are perceived to be the most desirable and most valuable. The Omega steel bracelet is also quite good, and I would recommend including this in your purchase.

Ohai you might be right about the color I do want the watch to be versatile, although I think the yellow is really sharp. Does macca agree on SS and can I buy the rubber strap separately? Its only $20 upgrade to have the SS included so I think thats a no brainer

I think the yellow looks better, but it seems a bit casual.

Agreed.

If you have a ton of watches and want to add one with yellow accents it might be fine if you were going to a casual function and just were wearing a vest and tie with dark matte cufflinks or something.

Yeah, I only recommended yellow because you seemed set on the breitling and that would be a mistake. Get the classic speedmaster pro on stainless steel. Hesalite if you’re a purist. (if you want a display back I’ll link you to a guy who makes custom ones - I have the hesalite/custom display back combo and it looks good). I believe Sapphire is an extra k and not worth it. You can easily polish hesalite with a 5$ tube of polywatch. If you’re buying new, there’s a presentation box with a NATO and a velcro strap (which you will probably never wear). Get a leather/alligator strap for it later down the line.

Re: rubber strap, yes just go to the dealer and tell them you want to order that strap separately. They will probably need to order it in but if you can, I’d do the whole order (watch and extra strap) together so you can ask for a nice discount on the strap. Refer here for aftermarket prices: http://www.ofrei.com/page750.html. Personal opinion is that the rubber wont’ look good on the Speedmaster Pro so save your shekels for a nice alligator band.

It depends what you want and how old you are. If you’re a younger guy the yellow would be easier to pull off. If you’re over 30 probably not the best watch in terms of versatility. I think the yellow has a role in certain watch portfolios but if you’re not going to have a collection and you need an everyday, go Speedmaster Pro.

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-311-33-42-30-01-001.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

or

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-311-30-42-30-01-006.html

im really not sure what the difference is between the movements. i am 30 and this will be my first watch so Pro it is

eying dark side of the moon myself. you cant go wrong with a speedy as a first watch.

get a nice strap like ohai said.

hit up their store on 5th, its so nice. esp upstairs, bring 2 credit cards lol

Speedmaster “Professional” is a hand wound movement. I know this is appreciated by many Speedmaster enthusiasts, but consider if you really want to manually wind your watch every day. Also consider whether you want the acrylic crystal - it will scratch. Although certain people who presume to know something will say you can polish it, this is still an inconvenience, and not worth the cost savings over glass, in my opinion. Sure, your sapphire crystal *might* shatter, but this is rare and most likely, your glass will just be flawless for a long time, like on my watches.

These legacy Omega Speedmaster features are maintained mostly because some customers want a watch that is authentic to the 1957 Speedmaster, and not because these features are superior given the current state of technology. If you value that authenticity, then that is fine. However, I want to make sure that you buy something like this for the right reason and choose the watch that is best for you.

So is there a Pro model with an auto movement or am I back to the Racing?

i have a pro and i wind it every few days maybe once a week if i wear it constantly.

it takes 10 seconds to wind it 15 times.

edit: coaxial movement

editedit: winds with movement of wrist

There are many Speedmaster automatic models, although they are not called “Professional”. Usually, they are called “Speedmaster Automatic”, “Co-axial”, or some other name to indicate the movement. If you can’t find the one you want on Jomashop, you can try Chrono24 or another website.

Not all automatic movements are equal though. The best, newest, most durable and most expensive Omega movement in the 9000 series Co-axial movement. This is followed by the 3000 series, which is a modified ETA movement, and then by the older, cheaper and quite pedestrian 1000 series (the underlying Valjoux 7750 is a famous movement used in such downmarket brands as Tag Heuer and others). I believe Omega only offers the 9000 series in new models (not sure), but many dealers have stock of the older sorts.

“i have a pro and i wind it every few days maybe once a week if i wear it constantly.”

This is a manual movement? If so, why does it matter if you wear it constantly?

the Pro doesn’t have an automatic model. If you see automatic on the dial face or no pro, your watch is probably automatic. Automatics can be wound manually as well. Speedmaster Reduced are also all automatic.

Ohai raises valid points, my counterpoint would be that polishing the watch takes 5 mins every 2 or 3 months so it’s not much time or work. The Sapphire version also has a ‘gray ring’ effect that makes it less attractive to me, once you see it you can’t unsee it, so take that into consideration. You do have to wind the watch but the power reserve is about 40 hours. If you top it up everyday you shouldn’t have an issue. As I said, if you’re a purist, those are the features you’d want. People either know they are purists or the propensity to become one down the line, or they just like what they like, which is why I caveated the statements above.

OP, you need to go try it on, and others, and see if they speak to you. You’ll know if its the right one when you put it on. If it doesn’t speak to you then keep searching, this model isn’t for everyone, luckily there are other models and makers.

I don’t think the 15 seconds it takes to wind a watch is a big deal, it’s just that for me personally I forget to do it and with a smart phone I have no real incentive to do it because I just check my phone. Plus, I have a watch “winder” where I just place my watch on a platform that rotates ever minute of so to keep the watch running so I don’t have to set it after the weekend. Not sure if there is a similar device for self-winding but I imagine it’s a pia to line up the dial with a winder if there is. Admittedly these are all first world problems…

Nearest Omega AD is about 1 hour so I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend

btw i have a ceramic and love it. it looks amazing with all types of light

this is for the ultimate BSD

Patek Philippe Super Complication

“Nearest Omega AD is about 1 hour”

Huh, what wasteland do you live in where there is no luxury Swiss watch retailer within 1 hour?

this may have been said in jest, but I just looked up my nearest and its like 5min away … andddd I live in the south maybe he lives in Rye, NY or something.