"We pay your bonus..."

When people say this to you, or say it in general, how do you react? I usually just keep my mouth shut and knowthink to myself that what they say is partially true, however, borderline ignorant. What do you reply with, or think, when someone says this to you? I usually think about the free flow of cash during the early 2000’s to help these (usually financially irresponsible people) get their houses. I also think about how miniscule their contribution to TARP was. Sorry if I come off sounding like a jacka$$, however, it kind of annoys me when people just repeat what they see/hear on CNN/FOX.

I usually just ignore these people, realizing that either their political views are totally incongruous with mine or that we otherwise have very little in common as far as professional or intellectual concerns go. On a related note, PtrainerNY posted an interesting article here: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1103640

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it kind of annoys me when people just > repeat what they see/hear on CNN/FOX. +1 I usually just ignore them. The average person is an idiot. It’s easier just to let them remain ignorant than to argue with them.

Hahaha have people actually said that to you? Jeez people generally just feel sorry for me working in the financial sector here…HOPING I get a bonus/pay rise etc! :slight_smile: move to ireland!

Those are the same people who assume the following: 1) Any fellow who claims he’s a banker is a teller 2) Any fellow who claims he works in finance but is not a teller must be a stock broker. They’re idiots, just ignore them.

Just the other day I was having dinner with my parents and their friends, and I told them about my 8-month ‘mating dance’ with the company I am going to be working for soon. To which the wife replied “Well I am glad we can pay your bonus.” To which I replied “That isn’t entirely true…” then my dad derailed the conversation before it could escalate. What is shocking to me is that these people are highly educated, well-off, and very right leaning. However, I think the wife just recites what she hears on FOX. @Kevin, yeah, i’ve already gotten the “my brother/cousin/uncle works at Edward Jones, thats like the same right?” I would rather have sex with a meat grinder than talk to some people.

I offer them a conciliatory blow of course! I am then usually told to go fuc myself. To which I usually reply with: okay back to my mansion and my lavish merino wool backed thousand count Egyptian cotton sheets, threaded with 22 carat gold. Would you like me to send those to you after I finish all over them so that you can put your 6 bucktooth children through community college?

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I offer them a conciliatory blow of course! I am > then usually told to go fuc myself. To which I > usually reply with: okay back to my mansion and my > lavish merino wool backed thousand count Egyptian > cotton sheets, threaded with 22 carat gold. Would > you like me to send those to you after I finish > all over them so that you can put your 6 bucktooth > children through community college? Detroiter?

He’s back! Whatever happened to that guy anyway? No reason he should be banned…

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just the other day I was having dinner with my > parents and their friends, and I told them about > my 8-month ‘mating dance’ with the company I am > going to be working for soon. > > To which the wife replied “Well I am glad we can > pay your bonus.” To which I replied “That isn’t > entirely true…” then my dad derailed the > conversation before it could escalate. > > What is shocking to me is that these people are > highly educated, well-off, and very right leaning. > However, I think the wife just recites what she > hears on FOX. > > @Kevin, yeah, i’ve already gotten the “my > brother/cousin/uncle works at Edward Jones, thats > like the same right?” I would rather have sex with > a meat grinder than talk to some people. Next time just reach in your pocket and grab a few pennies (assuming you actually have a few, which I’m sure is rare) and hand it to them. Tell them if they stop b!tching they can keep the change.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When people say this to you, or say it in general, > how do you react? Don’t you work for a telecom company? Have people said this to you just b/c you work in finance?

Who’s Detroiter? I am not him, promise. This is the only username I have had on here. I joined shortly after passing L1 in Dec08, feel free to check my history.

@Steph, more of ‘in general’ to me, however, my parents friend underhandedly said it to me and I was taken aback. My Cosmonaut, i’m just kidding, your little rant about the sheets and bucktoothed children reminded me of the illustrious Detroiter.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also think about how miniscule > their contribution to TARP was. Not to threadjack, but taxpayers/borrowers fund much more than TARP either directly or indirectly. You also have to consider (among other things): 1) TALF 2) The elimination of mark-to-market rules on illiquid securities 3) The lower cost of capital for banks due to the implicit ‘too-big-to-fail’ guarantee. If your employer bases their bonus payments on P&L adjusted for programs like these or if your group isn’t effected by any of these, then I agree with you–your bonus isn’t subsidized by taxpayers. Otherwise, you have to admit that you wouldn’t have had the same amount of success this year without tapayer assistance.

Oh I figured it resembled someone else’s posting style, but I thought people knew I wasn’t him. I just wanted to clear that up. PS I wasn’t even close to ranting, just having some good fun. IMO it is appropriate to answer a dumba$$ statement with a statement of like stupidity;)

^ hahahaha

Play on their ignorance and tell them that’s why you decided not to call their mortgage and cancel all their credit cards last month.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Play on their ignorance and tell them that’s why > you decided not to call their mortgage and cancel > all their credit cards last month. I love being dick without people even realizing I am. This here, folks, is an amazing statement.

Well, to be fair, these people do “pay our bonuses” when they comprise banks’ customer bases. However, without banks, no one would have jobs, houses, savings or education. The whole point of social contract is that everyone reciprocates everyone else’s contributions.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, to be fair, these people do “pay our > bonuses” when they comprise banks’ customer bases. > However, without banks, no one would have jobs, > houses, savings or education. The whole point of > social contract is that everyone reciprocates > everyone else’s contributions. This I can understand, the frustrating part is that they don’t know that. They are only saying is to follow the herd of people being mad at banks because it’s fashionable. You wan’t to read some scaray stuff, go to Digg.com and read the comments underneath articles that bash banks. I was reading the comment written by someone yesterday who was pissed at BoA because of his overdraft fee’s. He said “I went to the movies, bought popcorn, then went to Fridays (something along those lines). Then we had to pick up my wifes meds which I knew would over draft me, however, since they are vital to her health, I figured I could handle a 35 fee…” What I want to know is that, if this guys knows his account is low, why the hell is he dropping 30 dollars to see a movie and another 30 to get dinner? Why can’t he watch cable and throw a hungry man in the microwave?