Weak-Form Efficient markets

Hello friends,

This is my first time posting a query on this forum, so aologise for any mistake.

Q: If a market is weak-form efficient…

A. The return of a passively managed portfolio is likely to be higher than the return on actively managed portfolio.

B. The return of a passively managed portfolio is likely to be lower than the return on actively managed portfolio.

C. The return of a passively managed portfolio is likely to be same as the return on actively managed portfolio.

Ans. B

However, I am thinking that in a weak form efficient, excess return are not possible so passively managed portfolio will likely to be similar or higher because of all the expertise and management skills.

The only way I can agree with B is if management fees and transaction cost is considered and that brings the returns lower.

Please clarify.

Thanks

In weak-form efficiency, long-run, positive, risk-adjusted returns are not possible using historical price and volume data; i.e., technical analysis is useless. However, it’s possible that fundamental anlysis is useful. Hence, B.

In general in all forms except for the strong form EMH excess returs are possible, either through fundamental analysis (weak form EMH) or through private insider information (semi-strong form EMH).

Only in the strong form EMH no excess return should be possible on average(!) since all information is available to all market participants.

Best, Oscar

Thanks Mr Magician.

My pleasure.