Weird issue with BA II Plus - maybe can help you as well

Hi all, that’s quite weird: I recently bought a back-up calculator, having bought the previous one in 2015. Bought of them are BA II Plus calculators, and indeed from the look at least they seem identical. In my “old” calculator, if I type for example 27 / 3 ^ 3 I get 1. In the new one, I get 729, or 9 to the power of 3: in other words, it is as if I had typed (27/3)^3. This is really annoying because it forces me to use parentheses where I would not use them with the older calculator. The issue is not only with exponents: for example, a simple 27 - 1 * 27 gives 702 (26*27) instead of 0! Has anyone ever encountered the same issue? Does this depend on specific settings? If so, does anyone have a clue how to change them? Thanks a lot in advance!

I always used parentheses to avoid confusion.

2nd FORMAT , scroll using up or down arrow, look for AOS/Chn. AOS is algebraic operating system, I.e. good ol’ BEDMAS; Chn is chain calculation.

spot on breadmaker, thank you! I am new to this forum, is there a way I can assign you 100 points or whatever? :wink:

Key: 2nd then FORMAT then down arrow four times, you will see Cnn. In this chain rule, you have to use parenthesis. You can change this format By pressing 2nd SET. It will convert to AOS ( Algebraic Operating System ). Now try without parenthesis. You will get the right answer. It is the highly recommended settings for CFA candidate.

You can watch the following video on YouTube. It’s a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWajtj8ewn0&list=PLKdmC7e_-0h32ZR-jwPk4ObVgiNcaImWg