Wellington Management

What do you guys think of this investment management company? Thanks.

Joke? From what I understand they are a pretty solid shop…sweet partnership structure if you’re more senior or intend to grow into that role.

Not joking - I really don’t know much about them since I’m not in the asset management world. Anyway, thanks for the info. That’s certainly useful to know.

I think they have a pretty solid rep. They have run several funds for Vanguard, who I imagine would be pretty selective.

I’m having myself some beef wellington tonight.

Late day at the office, kind of. Actually, if you get a job there you have the option to take your bonus in beef wellington.

Wellington is a tough to place get in. Booth MBA should help.

I assume from the above comment the the OP is graduating Booth? Depending what group you’re going for, I know a couple recently (last 3 years) hired analysts that came from Booth. It’s definitely a very close nit culture there. PMs tend to be home grown and people stay for a long time. Ask about their morning meeting if you’re interviewing, probably find info about it on the baidu or google.

very nice company and pays higher than its competitors. But very hard to get in.

I interned there in college. It’s a pretty amazing place. Everyone is super nice but insanely smart. I never met anyone in a IM role that didn’t come from Sloan, Stanford, HBS, Tuck, Booth or Wharton. The CFA is a biiigggg firm wide thing, they pay for everything then give you a bonus for each level passed. $5k I think. They also give you a bonus when you get married or have a kid. All the people I worked for were very happy with the comp. Of course to get into a place like that is brutal. People would come in for 2 full day interviews after the initial HR screening and would have to meet with everyone in the department, including the admin and interns. I never seen such a formal process. 3 things to know: They think the morning meeting is the greatest idea ever. They say they have a formal dress code because “Managing other people money is not something to be causal about” (I heard that like 10 times when I was there). And lastly, “The Wellington Culture” is something you need mention as a key reason why you want to be there, its really just hardwork, team work, and treating co-workers like family. All in all, awesome firm.

notenoughtheta Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I interned there in college. It’s a pretty amazing > place. Everyone is super nice but insanely smart. > I never met anyone in a IM role that didn’t come > from Sloan, Stanford, HBS, Tuck, Booth or Wharton. > The CFA is a biiigggg firm wide thing, they pay > for everything then give you a bonus for each > level passed. $5k I think. They also give you a > bonus when you get married or have a kid. All the > people I worked for were very happy with the comp. > Agree on most points, I keep in contact with several people at there. The elite MBA thing is true many places places, so I would not say it is a bigger thing there. There are people with all kinds of backgrounds, although like I said above Booth is very well represented. Tap the alumni network.

Suit is the formal dresscode. I know couple of folks working for them as a performance analyst (back office) who are not graduated from top school. One girl there is from Princeton covering gas industry. Wellington also pays for employee’s 100% MBA tuition. If you get A in any course, they give you 10% bonus. Sweet. Bonus for studying. Very small company - close to 1000 employees including London. Pay is more than State Street and Fido (Bigger AM houses in Boston)

Thanks for the input, everyone.

260 people trying to have a simultaneous discussion every morning about the markets and economy? Sounds like a nightmare.

It seems getting 3.3 billion from TARP. Not returning a single penny yet…

Wellington is one of the top IM firms in Boston and in the country. Roughly 500bil in AUM managing insitutional money. The products are top notch. Do not need top 3mba to break in… I’ve looked at the profiles on Evestment and plenty of PM went to top 50 programs. Heard entry level investment person makes about 70-80k all-in. Bonuses last year wasn’t great (some people didn’t get any) because of fund performance. Note in 08 their AUM dropped 20% and they laid off some of the FO workforce which drew some fire since their margins should be pretty high. Anyways could have a great career on lony only buy-side at the shop.

I don’t care about all of that… I want to see their track record.

everyone is in full suit everyday