Westjet

What are people’s opinion of WestJet? I’m interested because: - They only really have competition from Air Canada - They are a low cost operator - They have the highest profitability of all North American airlines - Employees are shareholders - The stock price is down 50% from its highs - They least leveraged and have most cash/assets - Their planes are smaller, fuel consumption is lower - Occupancy (although it has fallen in recent months) is high - They have an alliance with Southwest, another low cost operator - Oil price is lower - Anticipation of lower demand continues to batter this company’s stock price, which gives in to short-term thinking

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What are people’s opinion of WestJet? I’m > interested because: > > - They only really have competition from Air > Canada > - They are a low cost operator > - They have the highest profitability of all North > American airlines > - Employees are shareholders > - The stock price is down 50% from its highs > - They least leveraged and have most cash/assets > - Their planes are smaller, fuel consumption is > lower > - Occupancy (although it has fallen in recent > months) is high > - They have an alliance with Southwest, another > low cost operator > - Oil price is lower > - Anticipation of lower demand continues to batter > this company’s stock price, which gives in to > short-term thinking they have strong fundamentals, i like the company, the stock on the other hand is going to be continued to be battered because the whole sector is looked down upon. id buy it for the long term, i also like ryanair, bought them back in 2004 and fortunately cashed out in 2007 because i wanted to take some money off the table and like everyone else i was bullish on oil and i thought that was gonna kill the stock. id buy it right now though they’ll be some tough times for the forseeable future due to reduced spending but operationally the company is probably one of the best.

bump for the Canadians

I really like westjet too for all of the reasons mentioned above , defintely long term though.I have travelled westjet and the service is defintely better than most of the other north-american airlines .

Westjet rocks, but airline stocks are almost always a lousy bet…too many uncertainities for an industry which never has high margins, even at the best of times…

Same here. I just can’t see myself ever investing in the airlines industry. There always seems to be some issue that reduces profitability.