What are big differences between Level 1 and 2 exams?

Just curious from III-ers who have passed both, what are the big differences between the first 2 exams? I’ve heard Level 2 is much harder and I am trying to understand exactly why? Is it that Level 2 is more integrative with the problem sets, and you need to have a stronger grasp on the material in order to do that (whereas Level 1 was more piecemeal in approach)? I notice that there is a lot of repetition, especially in FRA. How should studying for levels I and II differ?

i found level II easier, i enjoyed the material and felt like i was learning more advanced things that what i learned in school, although at the end all of the CFAI curriculum is not that advanced…

i found that smarts will pay you better for level II, while memory would serve you better for level I

I put about the same amount of work for both, but was not as comfortable for Level II just cause of what people made it seem, but looking back it is not that bad…

However I recommend you get out of here, Level III candidates get edgy 21 days before the exam, someone is gona attack you sooner or later, come back when it is safer after june 2

OP, just get out.

diaf

+1 lol

Vignette vs. isolated questions. Lv 1 is an inch deep and mile wide, Lv2 digs deeper into topics. On Lv1, I think you have a better chance of passing, even if you are clueless on a topic. That will be a much bigger issue on Lv2 given the vignette structure.

Thanks! It sounds as if for Level II you need to really understand everything intuitively instead of just knowing a formula by rote, and have more of a sense of real-life contexts.

^ you can pass all three levels and be clueless about finance, just my opinion

look at the ecnomics models in Level III, even at this level its just punshing in numbers into a formula

infact if you want to pass levels II and III while having real understanding, it will cost you a lot more time.

for Level III i am short on time, and there are a lot of things i will go to the test without understanding, but i can answer every question!

good to see that few of us have more than 19 days left for the examss…!!!1

great time pass… for those who have ample time

[quote=“firedcfa”]

i found level II easier, i enjoyed the material and felt like i was learning more advanced things that what i learned in school, although at the end all of the CFAI curriculum is not that advanced…

Why waste time on this board then if the material is so far beneath you?

I don’t agree.

Level 1 - conducted in June and December. Level 2 - only June.

i have found that the main ingredient to passing these exams is motivation…the rest is secondary

level 1 = schweser is enough

level 2 = CFAI + schweser + 7city + and the list goes on and on and on …

[quote=“thegooddocta”]

If you think CFA is advanced finance walk into a finance eng class or financial mathmatics or look at acturial study problem.

Its not beneath me, but the fact is CFA is not difficult and it is not advcanced and anyone who passed 10th grade pre cal can pass CFA.

^ agreed

the hard part is the dedication and dicipline

^ yup, and many people lack that. I have had things in advanced math classes that I looked at for weeks and could not comprehend, nothing like that in CFA, you put in the effort you will understand.

Some people get defensive cause they are candidates, I am a candidate, and I would like to think what I do is rocket science but it is not.

let’s keep in mind, the exam wasn’t designed for jobless people studying full time. So, obviously you can’t match the calibur of some advanced astrophysics PhD class.

I’m sure most of the people will agree the material isn’t rocket science, but the volume of it, combined with holding down a job at the same time that makes it hard.

Level 2 is way harder than Level 1 (IMHO). Not even close. However, the vignettes are probably the biggest difference aside from the material.