What are people using the calculator for?

firstly this link is awesome (has tutorial videos) http://movies.atomiclearning.com/k12/ti_ba2/ secondly, Are people using the calculator for: (my current answers are below) 1) TVM (obviously) 2) NPV (IRR, Discounted payback period, etc) (yes as of yesterday) 3) amortisation? (not yet…) 4) depreciation? (learning now - was fairly easy without so im not sure, could be good for weird methods) 5) statistics (SD, correlation? - not yet, considering it) 6) anything else?

I use it to crack open beers when I can’t find a lighter or opener. It has other functions?

unbelievable. just unbelievable. it does depreciation with all sort of funky tricks. And standard deviation. wow. this could save hours.

Also - -“e” function for continuous compounding -nCr and nPr for those Quant problems

I use the lid of my calculator to even out a wobbly leg in my desk. I still use the main calculator for quantitative functions, but the lid helps stabilize my desk.

your name “zero” reminds me of that smashing pumpkins video with that guy wearing the “zero” shirt. maybe it was bullet with butterfly wings or something like that . . .

Effective Annual Rate Calcs from Nominal. use the ICONV feature. Also use this for the Rate of Return value compounded annually. Use the Triangle% button(key 2nd 5). And use the LN feature to calculate the periodic rate. Oh, I use the STO and RCL feature a lot. Specially when you are calculating a lot of numbers…you can just store them and then recall them.

WildViper–thanks for ICONV feature…

also just found the bond feature. could be useful.

Yeah - I actually use the Bond function exclusively in Fixed Income - - makes it a lot easier.

anyone know what the where the 4.5 comes from in the calculator tutorial on Double Declining amortization? (31 year life, 0 salv value, cost=$1MM) thanks for this site!

TVM (plus bonds) IRR/NPV of uneven cashflows ??

anyone know what the where the 4.5 comes from in the calculator tutorial on Double Declining amortization? (31 year life, 0 salv value, cost=$1MM) —>? The start month

WildViper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Effective Annual Rate Calcs from Nominal. > > use the ICONV feature. > > Also use this for the Rate of Return value > compounded annually. Use the Triangle% button(key > 2nd 5). > > And use the LN feature to calculate the periodic > rate. > > Oh, I use the STO and RCL feature a lot. Specially > when you are calculating a lot of numbers…you can > just store them and then recall them. Can you explain the LN feature a little more? When would we need the periodic rate?

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > your name “zero” reminds me of that smashing > pumpkins video with that guy wearing the “zero” > shirt. > > maybe it was bullet with butterfly wings or > something like that . . . lol. reminds me of my teenage years

DDM

Priyanka, no problem! bpdulog, I use it to sometimes check return values in exam(rarely). It calculates the Continuously Compounded Return. In Excel: LN(New Value/Old Value). In TI - Just divide NewValue/Old Value and then press LN. Example: Price: Year 1: 100 Year 2: 95 Year 3: 115 LN feature gives me: 0.1397 as the return over the time frame Year 1 - Year 3. If you use the “e ^x” feature then on this 0.1397 number, it will give you the right return. Kind of a way to go back and forth and check your results. Disclaimer: I have not done a good job explaining this here…I know how to use it and its limitations…don’t try this at home or in your exam please. No time to learn this now. :slight_smile: