What can I do to improve my chances?

Guys, I have 2-3 years left before I start applying to B-school, and I need know what I should do in the meantime to improve my chances of getting into a good school. Here is the starting points: 1.) Will be CFA charterholder (Current Level III candidate) 2.) Undergrad UC Santa Barbara (mid-level school, top 50, Bus Econ major) 3.) 2.95 GPA (I’m embarrassed…I partied a lot) 4.) Career path - Institutional fixed income broker Here the problems. 1.) I won’t be promoted, as I’m in sales and there is no more promotions. I have had two career moves since graduating, first I was in corporate banking, then institutional sales assistant. How does my job look to admissions? I have no management aspect of my job other than managing my book of clients. 2.) How can I overcome the poor undergrad work? 3.) Assuming a 720-730 GMAT, what kind of school can I expect to get into? 4.) What can I do to get into a better one? I appreciate any feedback.

Well I mean I would start by not taking for granted the L3 exam. I also thought that I “would be” a CFA on such and such a date but evidently AIMR had scheduled me to earn my Charter a year later. Who knew! But anyways, have you led any projects that achieved greater sales success or perhaps studied sales differently through the creation/execution of a novel sales analytics tool? I mean sales isn’t bad. At the end of the day we all need clients. I manage investment portfolios but its pretty clear that part of the gig involves raking in new biz. Willy

1)good but not necessary 2)depends on where you want to go 3)everyone says that when they have a <3.0 gpa 4)any relevant experience? 1)need to spin story 2)u can’t, it’s history, do other stuff to make it up (ie: ECs or something interesting) 3)depends on your competition in the year that you apply and your overall pkg (what you do in the next 2 years and your essays…etc) 4)just do it

i thik the CFA exp and your 2 promotions wll cut the mustard. GPA you cant fix, its a sunk cost. Ramp up on some local college classes and get 3.5 or more, then apply to a top 30 and you’ll get in 2 if you apply to 10-12. play hard and good luck it is hard to have mgmt experience BEFORE school. you need to craft a story and figure out where you were able to make a difference at your firm. everyone has a story, find yours. I think you will be fine.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I mean I would start by not taking for > granted the L3 exam. I also thought that I “would > be” a CFA on such and such a date but evidently > AIMR had scheduled me to earn my Charter a year > later. Who knew! Can’t agree more…I think Level 3 is the toughest. But its good to see your confidence! Why don’t you try changing the job…it might help.

George Bush got into HBS with a C average. A 2.95, especially in the B-school sphere, is not a dealbreaker. If you get a great GMAT score, coupled with your work experience and CFA charter pursuit, you should be able to get into a good B-school. I don’t know where you’re aiming though.

work your butt off for GMAT and work on essays. some ec;s can not hurt.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > work your butt off for GMAT and work on essays. > > some ec;s can not hurt. From someone in the MBA application process, I agree fully! Work experience counts for alot likewise, talk that up as much as possible.

You still have time to start volunteering and junk. Do something, your credentials look like everyone else’s

Schools love international experience. Try to travel/volunteer/etc somewhere outside of your home country. Perhaps learn a new language. Military experience is also favored.