what do i do now?

Wait, did I misread a post or something? Did you get an offer for a oil/gas trading job? If so, you need to take that. Don’t worry about getting “pigeonholed”, you’re in no position to negotiate, and these trading jobs are also very difficult to land (if there’s a salary). I suggest you reconsider your priorities then.

yes,there is a salary

this is the one

https://careers.ghfgroup.com/Grad/Static/CurrentOpportunities.aspx

Avoid finance. The odds aren’t as good as a decade ago. The pie is shrinking.

I can’t tell the nature of work, but if it is a legitimate trading job, and not a clearing/ops role, then you should seriously consider it.

The problem is you’re focusing on the things in life that don’t really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself “Am I on the right track here?”. I don’t mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

huh? what knowledge have you given?

that’s what i am asking.

you don’t need to pity me and that’s shit advice by the way

black swan one last thing.

what’s your take on the business analytics industry there?the pre-requisite for getting in seems to be the msf and there is supposed to be a shortfall in personnel.

isildurrr, you are still new to AF, so you don’t know. Blake is our resident troll. This is what he does, so just pay him no mind

isildurr, do you have any info on the trading job? is it actually trading or is it operations/clearing? When you say you have an offer, are they literally waiting to hear back from you? Also, keep in mind, as you noted, your GPA is low, you cannot be that selective.

Oil and Gas trading jobs are plenty in Texas. A bunch of my finance college buddies ended up in that field.

I don’t know much about the business analytics industry. All I know is that an MSF form a relatively quantitative program give you a concrete skill set and there’s a high demand in general for mathy guys with quantitative skill sets. It’s a close to a guarantee as you’ll get in finance of a solid well paying job. And you’re engineering background would be a good fit.

its prop trading.it isn’t ops/clearing.

yes,i have an offer… have to confirm in 2 weeks.true,iv’e given another interview at an analytics firm.fuckers tested me on some shit math aptitude which i screwed up.if i get in there i think ill be going there.

if not its the trading job.

Yeah, just go to the interviews, and take the best one you get, I think the trading one sounds good. Remember it’s easier to get a job if you already have some experience, and doing a real finance job for 1-2 years will NOT pigeonhole you into doing something.

The overall experience was great. But I ended up having 3 bank interviews with multiple rounds and then all three were postponed in hiring due to the crisis (Fortis, KBC, Dexia)… but I don’t think the situation in Europe is any worse than here the states in regards to job prospects especially in finance/banking, etc… Overall opinion, if you can get a job, take it… do the schooling later or part time… get some hands on experience…

of all these stupid posts i have skimmed, nowhere did i read what a “finance job” actually is…

wtf are you guys talking about? Trading? Finance/Accounting? Research? Investment banking? …sounds like a lot of people just blabbering about a bunch of stuff…sick of this.

those stupid personality tests don’t say anything meaningful. its a stupid test. if you really believe in them and think they support something, there is a high probability you’re a dumbass…

blake makes sense…yall stop hating on the man.

you can help

no they don’t,it was meant to be taken in context

not really

Take the trading job. You’ll like it. And if you do well enough, you won’t need an MBA, or CFA, and you’ll actually enjoy waking up and going to work most of the time.

yeah…looks like the trading job,didn’t hear from the analytics company

lets see how it goes and thanks for the help

Not much transferrable skills in trading.