What do you drive?

Theres a site for this already. Also they have forums for most cars

Because Iā€™ve had them since before I was walking to work. One stays back home and I drive it when I work from there. The other stays in the garage here for when I need to drive. And no I live in a much smaller, cheaper city than NYC. But Iā€™m always considering moving there for the obvious reasons if I find the right gig. Quality of life would definitely decline though

Knowing mechanicals is a good skill to have and can earn your labor as a hobby. Beyond that though, dealers and modern tech have hurt the industry.

Many mechanics used to realise ~$50hr, but with the advent of dealer required servicing, specialized and expensive diagnostic tools, electrical complication, access to information, and unibody and insurance replace/repair views, theyā€™re earning half that. Itā€™s a dying trade imo.

exactly. Most of the brightest techs get picked up dealers and earn a decent amount to start. But itā€™s kind of a dead end career bc u have to work their schedule. Which is why Iā€™m now in finance. I prefer to keep cars as a hobby and a good side project for a rainy day or Sunday afternoon

Image result for ttc

Iā€™m really into the Lotus Evora 400 ā€¦ 0-60 in 4.1 ā€¦ from a 400hp 3.5L V6 Toyota engine, British car

andddd theres the 410hp sport, 0-60 in 3.9 ā€¦ woww

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/lotus/evora400/2017/ot/2017_lotus_evora400_LIFE1_ot_1207161_1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/337/404/5/S3374045/slug/l/01-lotus-evora-400-geneva-1.jpg I was thinking of buying a Lotus in 2007, but then moved to NYC that year so didnā€™t need a car. I test drove an Elise and while it was very fun to drive, it was just a bit tight for me, would have been a hard daily driver. But the Evora has nav, is bigger, pushes a V6, and is rated to be a ā€œbiggerā€ more reasonable car than the elise/exige, and the interior is significantly better. Also, I find it attractive to have a Japanese over a German engine and have heard the maintenance costs on a Lotus are pretty low (except for maybe the tires).

I do not know, we have any mechanic with a laptop and the corresponding program can diagnose what you want the car, although Mercedes last year, although Lamborghini, if only the on-board computer was on it.

^This sentence has no meaning. Its missing some subjects, objects, or verbs or something.

da fuq? Google translate way off son

As an aside - I occasionally run into Bill Eigen (BSD FI guy at JP Morgan in Boston) - we have a few common connections. Heā€™s a major car geek - owns a shop and can often be found on weekends covered in grease as heā€™s pulling an engine. But Iā€™m betting heā€™s not driving a Sonata.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a31370/the-lotus-evora-is-the-antidote-to-bloat/

Want to know what a real car feels like? Drive an Evora.

This yearā€™s Performance Car Of The Year testing showcased almost all the different ways you can build a high performance car. We had front-engined cars, mid-engined cars, and a rear-engined car. We had rear-wheel-drive cars and all-wheel-drive cars. Manual transmission, dual-clutch transmission, torque-converter planetary automatic transmission. Naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged. Yet not all of these differences would be readily apparent to a casual driver, and in a few cases (such as with the 911 Turbo S and its engine hung out past the rear axle) a considerable amount of engineering effort is put into masking the effects of those differences.

MORE FROM2017ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR

The Audi R8 V10 Plus Is the End of an Era

The GT-R Nismo Is Suddenly an Analog Sports Car

The Grand Sport Is the Corvette for Drivers

In fact, if you were to put the proverbial ā€œman on the streetā€ behind the wheel of every PCOTY contender in quick succession, he might well divide the cars into two groups. The first group would consist solely of the Lotus Evora 400; the second group would, of course, be everything else. Because while every other car in our test has succumbed to the general 21st-century automotive malady of widebody bloat, the Evora retains the interior proportions of a traditional grand-touring car.

This was something that I first noticed when we compared the Evora S to the 991-generation Porsche 911 Carrera 2S nearly four years ago. Iā€™d driven my 993-generation 1995 Porsche 911 the day before the test, just to get back in touch with the old Porsche aesthetic and to prepare for my meeting with the new car. Imagine my surprise when I dropped into the drivers seat of the first completely fresh 911 since 1998 and found that I had a few inches of clear air between my elbow and the door card.

Gone, too, was the intimate positioning of driver and front passenger seat, separated by just five inches of what was plain carpet in the 1965 car or a vestigial console-with-cassette-holder in my '95. The narrow, upright cockpit of my Porsche made it a splendid vehicle for first dates and now makes it a lovely way to travel with Danger Girl, but the current car enforces a Puritan separation of man and wife with a massive Berlin Wall of silver-toned plastic seemingly cribbed from the Panamera sedan.

MATT TIERNEY

Not that Porsche is the only manufacturer to change their interior packaging from 707 to 787, mind you. Everybody does it. Each new generation of a car is wider inside, with a higher door, a thicker set of pillars, and a smaller side window. Combine that with the none-more-black philosophy of modern sporting-car cockpit design, and itā€™s easy to see how the light and airy greenhouse of my old Porsche has become the Altimiran cave of the current car. We are told that it is necessary: to preserve our safety. To attract female buyers, who are more comfortable with less window space. To do business with the increasing number of big-and-tall customers.

Every car in our test had that cave-likeā€”nay, let us say cavernous, for it conveys every aspect of what it is like to sit in something like a Jaguar F-Type or Audi R8ā€”interior vibe down pat. Except, that is, for the Lotus. To sit in the Evora is to be immediately transported back in time three decades, or maybe four. The seats: close-coupled, elbow-touching over a minimal center tunnel. The steering wheel: close to hand, modestly sized like what youā€™d get in an SCCA Touring-class racer. The door: right there. And the doorsill is remarkably low for a mid-engined car on a backbone frame. You can see out of the Evora quite well, in three of the four cardinal directions; the rearview mirror primarily offers a fascinating and distracting view of the wastegate actuator, a milled-aluminum device that rotates provocatively behind the glass bulkhead window.

MORE FROM2017ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR

2017 Acura NSX: The Origin Story

Complete Test Results from 2017 Road & Track PCOTY

Stunning Photos from PCOTY 2017

Yet as thrillingly close-coupled and shrink-wrapped as the Evora may be, it still fits your six-foot-two, 240-pound author with no difficulty, even when he wears a helmet. And there is adequate room in the rear seat for children or particularly cherished luggage. This car is as large as it needs to be, and no larger.

Every driver at PCOTY agreed that the Evora was the most thrilling car in our group to drive at even remotely sensible speeds. Much of that has to do with the analog, unfiltered nature of the communication between tire and driver that the Lotus offers in spades, but itā€™s also due to the fact that, of all these stunning and rapid vehicles, only the Evora feels like a true sports car when you are behind the wheel. Everything else is either supercar-proportioned (the NSX, the R8) or sedan-on-steroids (the C63, the BMW, and, sadly, the 911).

MATT TIERNEY

The difficulty facing Lotus is that none of these sterling qualities can be measured by a stopwatch or displayed particularly convincingly on YouTube, so in an era where people judge cars based on fact and figures then leaven their opinion a bit by watching some morons clown around on their computer screen it becomes very difficult for anybody to understand why you would spend nearly a hundred thousand dollars on something that runs with a Mustang GT in the quarter-mile and lacks the visual drama of an Audi R8 or Jaguar SVR F-Type.

What you, the proverbial high-performance car buyer, need to do is this: Find your local Lotus dealer. This might be a little difficult, I admit. Then arrange to spend ten minutes just sitting in the Evora 400. You donā€™t even need to drive it, although doing so will further and more eloquently plead the carā€™s case. Just sit in the thing.

Take a moment to enjoy the intimacy of it: the way you can touch the passenger door with your right hand, the way all of the controls are within immediate reach. It will stir that child within you, the one who wanted to be a fighter-jet pilot or a Formula 1 driver. It is truly special in a way that no bloodless recapitulation of torque figures or lap times can explain. In an era where massive power and raw grip and computer-controlled handling appear to have carried the day, the Evora stands alone. It represents that which cannot be measured or delimited. But when you take a seat, close the door, and grasp its wheel, I believe you will understand.

Born in Brooklyn but banished to Ohio, Jack Baruth has won races on four different kinds of bicycles and in seven different kinds of cars. Everything he writes should probably come with a trigger warning. His column, Avoidable Contact, runs twice a week.

I thought about an Evora Sā€¦ the dealer in town had like 5-6 models in inventory that where 2 or so model years old! So in 2016, they had 2014 with delivery miles! Huge discounts. Was concerned about what the resale market would be like so I passed.

Yeah I really like the Evora S. The resale values seem to hold, especially with the reliable Supercharged V6 Toyota engine. But, it could be slightly illiquid as they are rare. Its not a commodity like some of the other cars, which is one of the reasons I like it. Iā€™ve never even seen an Evora on the streets. Did you test drive it? I heard it is a really fun car to driveā€¦

Should have driven it but didnā€™t. And same here, Iā€™ve never seen an Evora on the road before. Canā€™t remember the last time Iā€™ve seen any lotus on the road.

It is hard for Lotus to sell many cars in the US, since all but one model even pass US crash regulations now. Even the Evora is becoming an antique. I do not know how long Lotus can keep selling sub-2010 technology for $100k. The car lacks basic safety and convenience technology that are becoming standard in competing cars. While I understand the enthusiast appeal of this car, there will be a point at which it will become non viable as competitors pull further ahead.

Yes the value in a Lotus is the handling, unique design, exclusivity, and a peppy car.

There are sacrifices though as you stated. You have to hand it to the guys in Hetham England though. Itā€™s a small group with a limited budget who are still head to head on the track with some of the best cars on the road under the $200K mark.

I see a yellow Elise a 2-3 times per week on my way home from work.

:grin:

All these cars are rubbish. KTM X-Bow or gtfo

2017 (all new) BMW X1

luv it