What does a study group do?

It seems to me some of you formed study groups to study together. Can you tell me what exactly was done in those study group meetings? Thanks!

study

keeps us on track, motivation, networking, sometimes even able to go splits on study notes ( assuming someone knows a good place for photocopying)

IH8FSA, you in Toronto right? what study group you in? you want to go splits on study notes for L3?

socialize, drink coffee, network with other people of junior status (which does nothing but may be fun), don’t study much, probably fail.

I tried a study group for Level 1 and there was more chit chatting going on than studying. It wasn’t a networking opportunity either because I already knew most of the people. I prefer to study alone and come here for additional help. This board is the best study group around IMO because you can access it anytime from anywhere.

Hey Frank, theres 7 i think in our study group ( toronto), we are supposed to meet up next friday at starbucks yonge/davisville ( You’re Level 3 right?) but i havenet received confirmation on that as of yet. feel free to email me c_manzo@hotmail.com regarding study notes. I dont know if i want to split study notes ( i think i will just stick to CR), but i wouldnt mind splitting the practice exam books 1 and 2. shoot me an email and we’ll discuss.

today’s juniors will be tomorrows ibankers…

They’re not meant to meet and everyone sits in their library cubicle and studies. I felt a study group was great and helped me alot. It works only if everyone is serious and the discussion revolves around the concepts that everyone should have studied prior to meeting. It just clarifies and crystallizes the material.

they are a waste of time - they only benefit lazy unorganized candidates who wish to leech onto others and ask for explanations to topics that they have not bothered to study

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I tried a study group for Level 1 and there was > more chit chatting going on than studying. It > wasn’t a networking opportunity either because I > already knew most of the people. I prefer to study > alone and come here for additional help. This > board is the best study group around IMO because > you can access it anytime from anywhere. same here, and joey and super I know the answer to any question i could possible imagine. hey joey, how many licks does it take to get to the centre of a tootsie roll pop? :wink:

drs - I agree. The CFA is great precisely b/c you don’t need a study group or teacher. Everything is laid out for you. Just read the damn books and do practice questions and you don’t need anything else. (However, I’ll probably take a class because my company will pick up the tab…hahaha…but L1 I did everything on my own and crushed that thing)

i find it helpful for me to retain and understand things when i explain it to people.

It gets lonely on friday nights when you stay behind at your work desk or work cafeteria and the janitor’s are the only ones around. Knowing other people ( people who you can put a face to) are going through what you are going through makes it easier to study. Plus whats the harm in meeting new people?

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > socialize, drink coffee, network with other people > of junior status (which does nothing but may be > fun), don’t study much, probably fail. lolol

there is a study group at my work for L1. I’ll see how many of them fail. i have faith in teamwork.

> socialize, drink coffee, network with other people > of junior status (which does nothing but may be > fun), don’t study much, probably fail. this discussion reminds me of study groups during my MBA time. It seems that connections start with gossip … chatting abt love life , accident with unexpected baby, guessing who date with whom , who is going to break up with whom and who is the hidden third person… finnaly read the Harvard Business case which is due the next day. Some frds are good at overhearding and can analyze the case at the same time, which surpirse a non naitive English like me. I found out that I improve my chatting skill and enlarge my understanding on baby caring skill :slight_smile:

the number one thing a study group can do is share tough practice questions and tricky topics. it’s also useful if you have group members who have expertise in varied topics and can be the hammer on FSA vs Equity Val vs Stats etc.

Personally I’ve always found study groups to be of negative value. Why? Because people in the group usually don’t know what they heck they are talking about. There’s no reason for me to listen to an explanation from someone else when I can go to the book and see the exact answer and not get someone else’s (usually incorrect) half-as*ed interpretation. With the CFA especially, it is all laid out for you…you don’t need a study group.