What does an analyst at an AM firm do?

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this whole thread was pointless. pretty much

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > this whole thread was pointless. > > > pretty much I got a smile out of it! dbfinley, you have to admit that the way you phrased the opening post was extremely confusing. You already know what this job entails by and large! You’re actual request looking for more detail from people who’ve worked in a similar position previously is perfectly reasonable. You somehow made it sound like you gone out drinking one night and woken up next to a signed contract to work in some AM firm for 55k a year! (was there also a tiger in the room?) Congratulations on getting the job by the way. Best of luck with it.

Dude, it’s hard to say this is an analyst role at an AM shop. That to me would be somebody evaluating investments. You’ve got a support role at a RIA, it sounds like. Congrats on the role though.

I agree with Jcole21. Sounds like a support role at a decent size RIA. Your experience will depend on your firm’s investment philosophy (active or passive), client (high net worth individual or endowment) or vehicle (ind security, mutual fund, etf or alternative). Just in case, if your firm is passive/high-net-worth IND/mutual fund or ETF only, pass the CFA level 1 and 2 while you’re working for a year or so, then get out… Good luck.

just curious dhyun3 why you say to get out of the scenario you outlined above? this is the sort of outfit i am working at right now and have been very pleased with the experience thus far (2.5 years). what are you implying is the ‘greener pasture’?

jkrecords Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just curious dhyun3 why you say to get out of the > scenario you outlined above? this is the sort of > outfit i am working at right now and have been > very pleased with the experience thus far (2.5 > years). > > what are you implying is the ‘greener pasture’? Why are you leaving then if you’re so pleased?

iam not planning on leaving haha. but i am always curious about other options. this is my first job out of undergrad so i know that theres a ton of other opportunities out there and i eventually would be looking to leave. it just struck me as interesting when someone was instructing someone else potentially in the same sort of role i am in to get out after being there a few years, basically where i am at right now. i was curious what they had in mind as the next step or the better palce to be and why.