What does an analyst at an AM firm do?

Well I’ve accepted an offer from an AM firm with 2B aum, and I was curious what the roles of the first year analyst would entail. Well I just be churning out monthly statements? Rebalancing portfolios? Pitching investment ideas? Summarizing our performance to pitch to clients?

You accepted a job offer without knowing what the job is?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You accepted a job offer without knowing what the > job is? I was thinking the exact same thing. What I want to know is how you even got the offer without knowing anything about the job whatsoever.

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I’ve accepted an offer from an AM firm with > 2B aum, and I was curious what the roles of the > first year analyst would entail. Well I just be > churning out monthly statements? Rebalancing > portfolios? Pitching investment ideas? Summarizing > our performance to pitch to clients? Was there no interview for this job? How did you get the position without knowing anything about it? What kind of assets does the firm manage (Equity/FI/Other)? Who are the clients (Retail/Institutional)? Do you know any details?

i have been an investment analyst at a similar sized firm for 2.5 years now. my responsibilities have obviously increased over this time but when i started it was a lot of rebalancing accounts, working on client presentation materials, researching specific questions PMs had, screening mutual funds, etc. we run a global asset allocation strategy with the focus being on the overall strategy and positioning of client accounts. i have taken over coverage of several asset classes which i monitor, inform the group about and select managers for. its been a pretty interesting job particularly over this time period.

Was there a job description when you applied for this job?

So I hired this guy without telling him what he’d be doing. Cant wait to see his face when he’s cleaning my toilet

Well it pays 55k a year so I’d be the most expensive toilet cleaner ever.

So are u gunna walk into work and say “so what was i hired for again”?

Yea I can’t imagine what the interview was like. Didn’t you research the company at all? Don’t they ask if you have questions at the end? I guess if you were desperate for any job, it wouldn’t matter then…

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I’ve accepted an offer from an AM firm with > 2B aum, and I was curious what the roles of the > first year analyst would entail. Well I just be > churning out monthly statements? Rebalancing > portfolios? Pitching investment ideas? Summarizing > our performance to pitch to clients? Dbfinley, I’ve seen some of your other posts in the past. YOU ARE SMARTER THAN THIS. Please explain to us how in the f*%k you got this job, and at least speculate as to what you *think* you’ll be doing. We’ll try and help from there.

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well it pays 55k a year so I’d be the most expensive toilet cleaner ever. Not even - this guy cleared over $63K. Rodriguez Jorge City of San Jose Senr Custodian Airport $63,485.00 Calendar 2008 View Details http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_12116499?appSession=416264280611487

Wow, those San Jose fire firemen are paid a lot. No wonder the city is trying to cut their pay.

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I’ve accepted an offer from an AM firm with > 2B aum, and I was curious what the roles of the > first year analyst would entail. Well I just be > churning out monthly statements? Rebalancing > portfolios? Pitching investment ideas? Summarizing > our performance to pitch to clients? Did the guy touch your knee during the interview?

did you get so so so f x x k?

are you sure you even got the job? even a drunken guy knows whether he slept with a grenade or not, but being sober and not knowing what job you took? actually, i have a great idea. if you can just send me 45k in cash, it’ll all work out. I’ll fill you in on the details a bit later.

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well it pays 55k a year so I’d be the most > expensive toilet cleaner ever. Congratulations man. Ignore the haters, you saw an opportunity, you jumped on it, good for you. Don’t worry about your actual function, you’ll probably end up punching in numbers, some PowerPoint BS, stuff like that.

Yes alright I got the job, signed a contract everything, the person who hired me outlined exactly what I said in the first post: preparing presentations, preparing monthly statements, rebalancing, and occasionally pitching ideas. I was just hoping I guess to hear from other analysts at AM firms to see what they did. It seems like grunt work, but I can’t complain. Also what’s the typical progression? AM analyst for 4 years -----> CFA -----> PM?

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Also > what’s the typical progression? AM analyst for 4 > years -----> CFA -----> PM? That’s typical. You just need to add HF at the end. Pretty standard really.

this whole thread was pointless.