What Exactly Do You Plan To Do With A CFA?

I m in IT and have a real interest in finance which I am keen to demonstrate. I m thinking carefully about doing a CFA but I wanted to ask you guys exactly what doors you feel having a CFA opens up? In particular I m undecided what I want to be doing but having worked in MarketRisk recognize that having good programming skills and database skills together with a good background in finance is a really envious combination of skills. What are you hoping to achieve from a CFA?

Just start working on the thing and see if it benefits you. It’s a broad-based skill set that will help you even in your current job.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just start working on the thing and see if it > benefits you. It’s a broad-based skill set that > will help you even in your current job. +1. I don’t know what I want to do, but I like the curriculum of the CFA program.

I like the CFA because it is competitive and you feel satisfied when you reach the target!

Just like making love to a beautiful woman.

Stronger knowledge base Better job More money Respect in the industry Built in network (to some extent) It’s pretty straight forward. Whether it makes sense for you or not is a different question.

When I get my charter I am going to go straight to the beach. Then when I get there, instead of writing my name in the sand, I’m going to write my name in the sand and put “,CFA” after it, take a picture, and put it on my wall. Wait, there are other reasons to get this designation?

joey122 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I m in IT and have a real interest in finance > which I am keen to demonstrate. > > I m thinking carefully about doing a CFA but I > wanted to ask you guys exactly what doors you feel > having a CFA opens up? > > In particular I m undecided what I want to be > doing but having worked in MarketRisk recognize > that having good programming skills and database > skills together with a good background in finance > is a really envious combination of skills. > > What are you hoping to achieve from a CFA? Conquer the Modern World!

knowledge. what else? job, money, that is all a given. bottom line is we are here for the intellectual thirst.

I’m going to wine and dine my charter in a 3-Michelin-star rated restaurant before heading home to make love to my charter tube.

Rick O’Shea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m going to wine and dine my charter in a > 3-Michelin-star rated restaurant before heading > home to make love to my charter tube. hahah hilarious

I seriously am.

Become a portfolio manager. Make more money. Build a shrine around my charter.

Having completed it, I’m no longer enamored with it.

Probably the biggest benefit of CFA was discovering this forum and AFOT

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like the CFA because it is competitive and you > feel satisfied when you reach the target Just like a good ol game of darts …

I’m probably not going to add the word CFA after my name like “John Doe, CFA” I guess it would be a shame wouldn’t it.

Re: What Exactly Do You Plan To Do With A CFA? new Posted by: DirtyZ (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: September 12, 2008 03:01PM Having completed it, I’m no longer enamored with it. - - - - thats how everything is though isn’t it? jobs, girls, etc.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having completed it, I’m no longer enamored with > it. Interesting thought. I think I might have the same reaction too. Before I started pursuing the charter, I thought it was the biggest best thing in the world, the nearly impossible task that only the best and brightest achieved, surefire way to land the job of my dreams. But now, after passing level II is seems to have diminished some what in my eyes. I was very happy after passing LII but not nearly as much as after LI. It seems like once you achieve a big goal it just doesn’t seem as important or significant as it did in the beginning.

GoVols - I agree. Passing each level caused less satisfation than the level before. Now, knowing that I’ll get the charter in a month, I’m not satisfied at all. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t go for it. Finish it up.