What happens if Greece (or another country) leaves the Euro

Does anyone know? How will it impact the Euro?

I think the impact will be minimal if only Greece left, however if PIIG all left there are chances that Eruo will strengthen. I think the whole mechanism of Euro is flawed, in that nations with drastically different GDP, political and economic interest should never be backed by one currency. I still have to applaud the EU for getting this far and from what is seems it is here to stay for long. The complexity increases when you do not have a local currency. How do you determine what is your allocation? UK was smart enough to avoid the trap.

Would the ECB be able to support itself having to repay both capital paid and reserves pledged by these nations when they entered into the euro?

Or perhaps Germany might leave (and join Britain?)

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Or perhaps Germany might leave (and join Britain?) That would shut the euro down in my opinion.

While Greece could leave the Euro, I think we are a long way off that. For a start, there is no legal mechanism for a country to leave the eurozone. So it would be totally breaking new ground. The country’s sovereign euro-denominated debt would presumably get converted into this new currency which bondholders mightn’t be too happy about. Logistically it would be a nightmare and there is no political will either within Greece or in the rest of the Eurozone to go down that road. As for Germany joining a new currency area with Britain!! Come on. The USA and Canada forming a common currency zone is a far more likely but still extremely unlikely outcome.

The bit about Germany joining Britain wasn’t about forming a common currency. It was referring to the fact that the British were initially going to be part of EEC but then pulled out. Anyway, I don’t think it’s very likely, but just remember that it isn’t just the weakest ones that might pull out…

What would happen if hawii left the US?

BChadwick. Sorry. I misinterpreted what you wrote. Yes Germany could exit the Eurozone. I personally think it is more likely that the UK will join the Euro than Germany leave it. In Britain, 2 of the 3 main political parties are at least somewhat favorably disposed to joining the euro. In Germany only very fringe elements would call for a return of the Mark.

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BChadwick. Sorry. I misinterpreted what you wrote. > > > Yes Germany could exit the Eurozone. I personally > think it is more likely that the UK will join the > Euro than Germany leave it. > > In Britain, 2 of the 3 main political parties are > at least somewhat favorably disposed to joining > the euro. In Germany only very fringe elements > would call for a return of the Mark. Given your point of view, which I think makes sense, is there anyway the euro doesn’t go lower?