What is meant by "Working on Wall Street"

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > One other story – while I was in Texas, I did > meet a girl at a bar whom, after I mentioned I had > been working in NYC, told me that she “used to > work on Wall Street.” I asked her where and she > said Deutsche Bank. Then I said, “Oh cool, which > division?” After which she replied, “Human > resources.” > So she was a hooker?

What if you work on Canary Wharf?

I don’t like the “work on wall street” quote. It’s for the common non-finance people to throw around as a quick way to describe anyone in finance.

I sell hot dogs on wall street I overweight the wall street part and underweight the hot dogs part at clubs

Would the brown Canadian_Accountant immigrant selling hot dogs on Wall/Broadway be considered ‘working on Wall Street?’

Wall Street is so passe, Maiden and Gold is where its at.

There hardly any banks working on Wall Street anymore. If they say they work on Wall Street, they’re probably a personal trainer at Equinox or NYSC…

Actually, in my experience, it’s more common that someone is introduced by other people as someone “who works on Wall Street.” Most industry people say “I work at a bank” or “I work with investments,” or “I work in finance” or something like that.

i think a lot of outsiders generalize bankers as “wall-streeters.” i don’t think people say they work there. i’m sure not a “main-streeter,” though

“working on Wall Street” = front office position at an investment bank A muni trader in Denver works on Wall Street. Someone that interviews traders for compliance that actually is employed in Manhattan does not work on Wall Street.

Canadian_Accountant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I sell hot dogs on wall street > > I overweight the wall street part and underweight > the hot dogs part at clubs never underweight the hot dog part man

I work on Wall Street. Pierce & Pierce.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In the occasional instance that I meet a girl at a > social establishment who doesn’t know what a hedge > fund is, I just tell them “it’s an investment > company…you know, like the stuff people do on > Wall Street.” After which she’s like, > “@#)%(*@#%&!@()($*!!” or some other seemingly > awestruck response because she’s never met another > urban finance professional before. > > One other story – while I was in Texas, I did > meet a girl at a bar whom, after I mentioned I had > been working in NYC, told me that she “used to > work on Wall Street.” I asked her where and she > said Deutsche Bank. Then I said, “Oh cool, which > division?” After which she replied, “Human > resources.” > > So next time you meet a girl at a bar – unless > she’s hot (though some exceptions can be made if > she works in private wealth), there is only one > appropriate response to someone that tells you > they work on Wall Street: “Next!!!” technically she is right. i used to live in an apartment on wall street and DB was across the street from me.

fredfunk04 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In the occasional instance that I meet a girl at > a > > social establishment who doesn’t know what a > hedge > > fund is, I just tell them “it’s an investment > > company…you know, like the stuff people do on > > Wall Street.” After which she’s like, > > “@#)%(*@#%&!@()($*!!” or some other seemingly > > awestruck response because she’s never met > another > > urban finance professional before. > > > > One other story – while I was in Texas, I did > > meet a girl at a bar whom, after I mentioned I > had > > been working in NYC, told me that she “used to > > work on Wall Street.” I asked her where and she > > said Deutsche Bank. Then I said, “Oh cool, > which > > division?” After which she replied, “Human > > resources.” > > > > So next time you meet a girl at a bar – unless > > she’s hot (though some exceptions can be made > if > > she works in private wealth), there is only one > > appropriate response to someone that tells you > > they work on Wall Street: “Next!!!” > > > technically she is right. i used to live in an > apartment on wall street and DB was across the > street from me. Technically she’s correct but it’s an inaccurate description for her role. She’s trying to make herself sound more important than she actually is. HR on Wall Street is essentially worthless, they don’t decide anything.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually, in my experience, it’s more common that > someone is introduced by other people as someone > “who works on Wall Street.” Most industry people > say “I work at a bank” or “I work with > investments,” or “I work in finance” or something > like that. This is the best way to put it.