What is meant by "Working on Wall Street"

This is just a quick question to see how different everyone views the phrase “I work on Wall Street.” Obviously Wall St. is an actual street and a financial hub, but what kind of a job does it take to “Work on Wall St?” Do investment bankers work on Wall Street even though they don’t directly affect investment decisions? Does an equity research analyst in Houston, covering oil companies, work on Wall St? Does a financial planner/asset manager of a long-only investment fund with a couple million in AUM work on Wall St? ***I guess the point is where do we draw the line between who does and does not work on Wall St.

This is a good question. I have often wondered this myself. If you work in ER, IB, Sales and Trading in New York I think you can say without hesitation that you work on Wall Street. If you work outside of New York in the aforementioned areas, you could probably say you work on Wall Street, but I thought Wall Street = New York.

Hmm. Interesting Q. In my mind I would classify it as you have work that physically brings you down to the stock exchange.

Do people actually say that?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do people actually say that? Another good Q. Not really by those working in industry I would think, but possibly from an outsider’s perspective?

You hear this all the time primarily outside of NY. Any person that takes a job in finance in NY has “gone to work on wall street”. I find it kind of funny.

The conversation usually goes like this: Me: Hi there pretty lady PL: Oh hi, what do you do? Me: I work in finance PL: F-eye-nance? Me: Er… wall street stuff PL: Oooooh, I like you already

> Do people actually say that? Another good Q. Not really by those working in industry I would think, but possibly from an outsider’s perspective? That’s what I think too…I think if an outsider is unsure what someone does, this may be a common response. ----I investigate traders at a major stock exchange so my work brings me to the trading floor a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself as someone working on wall st.

Wait, so you work for a regulatory agency?

an SRO (self-regulatory organization)

robber07 - don’t underestimate yourself - you work on wall street.

excellent excellent questions people.

Then that’s what I shall use in Vegas this weekend…Club ideas for a 25-year old with buddies from a bachelor party: there Aug 11-14

This is my impression: it depends on the context of the discussion: Within the financial industry, working on Wall Street seems to mean you work at a bank on the sell side, either in ibanking or equity research or sales & trading. Outside the industry, working on Wall Street seems to mean anything in banking (other than retail commercial banking) or asset management. Private Wealth Management is a bit of a grey area, with larger companies seeming more “wall street”-ish and small companies being perceived as “retail brokerish.”

What if you work on Wall Street, New York, NY 10301, not Wall Street, New York, NY 10005?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What if you work on Wall Street, New York, NY > 10301, not Wall Street, New York, NY 10005? You’re fcked!!

Strong Island stand up! “I didn’t know Staten Island was actually an island until we crossed the bridge”

In the occasional instance that I meet a girl at a social establishment who doesn’t know what a hedge fund is, I just tell them “it’s an investment company…you know, like the stuff people do on Wall Street.” After which she’s like, “@#)%(*@#%&!@()($*!!” or some other seemingly awestruck response because she’s never met another urban finance professional before. One other story – while I was in Texas, I did meet a girl at a bar whom, after I mentioned I had been working in NYC, told me that she “used to work on Wall Street.” I asked her where and she said Deutsche Bank. Then I said, “Oh cool, which division?” After which she replied, “Human resources.” So next time you meet a girl at a bar – unless she’s hot (though some exceptions can be made if she works in private wealth), there is only one appropriate response to someone that tells you they work on Wall Street: “Next!!!”

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Strong Island stand up! > > “I didn’t know Staten Island was actually an > island until we crossed the bridge” Strong Island sit down.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In the occasional instance that I meet a girl at a > social establishment who doesn’t know what a hedge > fund is, I just tell them “it’s an investment > company…you know, like the stuff people do on > Wall Street.” After which she’s like, > “@#)%(*@#%&!@()($*!!” or some other seemingly > awestruck response because she’s never met another > urban finance professional before. > > One other story – while I was in Texas, I did > meet a girl at a bar whom, after I mentioned I had > been working in NYC, told me that she “used to > work on Wall Street.” I asked her where and she > said Deutsche Bank. Then I said, “Oh cool, which > division?” After which she replied, “Human > resources.” > > So next time you meet a girl at a bar – unless > she’s hot (though some exceptions can be made if > she works in private wealth), there is only one > appropriate response to someone that tells you > they work on Wall Street: “Next!!!” Did you backhand her?