What is the appeal of Rolex /luxury-watches?

I’ve heard that one of the appeals for a guy to get a real expensive watch is that if they were to get divorced then they’ll be able to have some additional income that the significant other won’t take from them. Ie some money to pay for an apt, cheap food, etc…

I’m not there yet but I thought that was an interesting take on it.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17342587_804762116344674_2508577896692118737_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5be7c8a879d5c23ed22dae9221c8aacd&oe=5C04F69D

I got a £10k watch and a £5k watch. I like wearing them becuase i want people to know i’m a baller. I like walking down the shops in my flipflops and people knowing that i’m the Don of East London

i met this alt usc dude in 4th of july from london that just loves collecting expensive watches with weird serial numbers.

haha kanye speaks troof!

Man I promise, I’m so self-conscious That’s why you always see me with at least one of my watches Rollies and Pashas done drove me crazy I can’t even pronounce nothing, pass that versace! Then I spent 400 bucks on this Just to be like, “Nigga, you ain’t up on this!” And I can’t even go to the grocery store Without some Ones that’s clean and a shirt with a team It seems we living the American Dream But the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem The prettiest people do the ugliest things For the road to riches and diamond rings We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us We trying to buy back our 40 acres And for that paper, look how low we a stoop Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coupe

Oh when it all, it all falls down Uh, and when it falls down who you gon’ call now? Oh when it all, it all falls down C’mon c’mon, and when it falls down

We’ll buy a lot of clothes but we don’t really need 'em Things we buy to cover up what’s insideCause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth That’s why shorties holler, “Where the ballers at?” Drug dealer buy Jordan, crackhead buy crackAnd the white man get paid off of all of thatBut I ain’t even gonna act holier than thouCause fuck it, I went to Jacob with 25 thou Before I had a house and I’d do it againCause I wanna be on 106 & Park pushing a Benz I wanna act ballerific like it’s all terrific I got a couple past-due bills, I won’t get specific I got a problem with spending before I get it We all self-conscious I’m just the first to admit it

That’s pretty deep.

Off topic. Is it acceptable to wear a brown band watch with a black suit? Shouldn’t you match the band of your watch to the color of your belt and your shoes at all times? I ask because obviously I’d never wear a brown belt with a black suit.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-watch-says-more-about-your-status-than-you-think-11566933401?mod=trending_now_pos2

what you wear determines who you are!

I let my shirtless abdomen do the talking their $50k watch can’t do.

I’m 37, and I’ve been into watches since I was 10 years old, when I saw a Tag Heuer Formula 1 that my cousin got as a gift.

I’ve been a more ‘serious’ collector for probably 12 years or so now. I’d say that in terms of variety of people who spend money on luxury watches, it’s similar to people who buy cars. You’ll get people who are rich and just want a Ferrari but aren’t really into cars in general, don’t really know much about cars etc, they just want to show wealth. These are the kind of people that buy an AP and ice it out, or just want something big and flashy.

You’ll get some people who have some money, and they want to treat themselves to a nice Porsche or Audi or whatever. They have an appreciation for cars, but they’re not collectors or enthusiasts, they just want to be able to reward themselves and have an inconic thing. These are the type that buy a speed master or submariner, and keep it forever.

Some people have the money to buy very fancy cars, but they also love the history of cars, the mechanics, they might have an old Jaguar, an Audi, and also love VW Beetles. They go to collectors events, they welcome everyone etc…and that’s the same with watch collectors. I know guys with $100k Pateks, who rock G-Shocks and Swatch. I’ve spent tens of thousands over the years, and have owned some extremely nice watches that 99.9% of people wouldn’t recognize, and I was wearing my Seiko today. I’ve literally never had anyone comment on my most prized watch, which cost close to $30k, but I’ve had so many people say ‘ooh, is that a Rolex?’ when I wear a vintage Sub. Basically, watches are oftten used as a dick swinging contest, but there is a pretty large numbers of ‘purists’ who are into watches regardless of how much money they had to spend. I was into them when I could afford $300 on a watch, and I’m into th today.

in response to what others have said…do not buy any watch as an investment unless you know what you’re doing. Steel sports Rolex have gone through the roof in recent years due to Rolex restricting production, but the idea that ‘luxury watches always appreciate’ is laughably misguided. Some do, some don’t. I’ve lost count of the number of people who show me their Panerai or Omega that they bought 5 years ago, and ask me what it’s worth. Buy a watch because you want it, not as an investment.

If you don’t like watches or want to spend money on a nice watch I totally understand. If you say you just can’t understand why anyone in the whole wide world would want a nice watch then you’re just another lemming on the road to mediocrity. A well crafted watch, a beautifully engineered car, a well cut suit of fine fabric, well designed furniture, expertly tanned leather, live music/acting performance…these are things made by skilled craftsmen practicing their own unique kind of genius. Learn to appreciate it and you will find new meaning in your own work. Ignore it and you become like any of the unbearable clowns in our industry who think investing is easy, alpha is so easy, raising money is so easy…these idiots fill the ranks of the serially underperforming, destroying our industry from the inside.

I need a Xanax after reading this.

Wash it down with a gin and tonic and join the club.

bros my wifey wants a live performance band for our wedding. wtf. y u need that shit when u got a dj with surround sound and a macbook. anyways how much does either cost. im totally cool with mediocrity.

Live bands are classy as phuc tho

Live bands by me were in the 4-6k range and DJs were about half of that. A band is probably better better with some caveats (1) they take a lot of breaks (2) they’re not great with light in-between music when people are finding their seats, etc. (3) live instruments like drums are just loud (4) if the couple are from different ethnicities it may be hard to find a band that can handle the classics from both sides.

Get her to watch Crazy Rich Asians so she can settle for one girl with a guitar.

We did a live trio during cocktail hour and a DJ during the dancing (works well, since variety is nice to have for dancing). Could be a good compromise, and probably cheaper.

Lol DJ? Really? Live performance by Taylor Swift at your wedding or hacksaw.