What is the deal with GIPS

I am upto Reading 4: GIPS. Is this section tested on the exam and how in-depth should I look the non-optional sections?

There may or may not be questions on GIPS. I don’t remember any from June, but there were a few in Dec. Know the main details of each section/subsection. Common questions seem to be ones related to presentation of historical performance (i.e. Minimum years required for investment performance?), what constitutes compliance, purpose of GIPS, etc. Honestly, you’d probably be fine completing this reading in a condensed version from one of the third party providers.

There will definitely be questions on GIPS. Typically fundamental principals. Its easy points so don’t overlook it. Memorize years and construction of indexes for sure.

You don’t need to read optional sections. Don’t waste your time. Just remeber that main topics. Fundamentals in Compliance, Input Data, Calculation Methodology, Composite Construction, Disclosures, Presentation and Reporting, Real Estate, Private Equity It’s voluntary, minium 5 years required up to 10 years depending on firm life,etc…

hendriar14 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s voluntary, minimum 5 years required up to 10 > years depending on firm life,etc… Bingo, know the required minimum # of years in order to claim GIPS compliance in certain situations. Post/Pre 2000

There was one tricky question on the exam with the GIPS years- if a company starts complying with GIPS, and they do so for the next seven years, how long do they need to report. It was 10 years- the 7 years, plus the initial 5, and since they only need to report 10, they don’t need to do all 12. It is easy points, definitely memorize the non-optional stuff. Reading the optional stuff may be a good idea for a more in depth understanding, but it’s not necessary.

KNOW YOUR GIPS my 12/08 L1 exam had about 4 or 5 questions on it

There were atleast total of 6 questions in both Dec & Jun recent exams. I probably missed most of them in Dec, because I sort of memorized and I am sure I got most of them right this time, because I truly memorized it. GIPS, technical analysis & FSA intro require pure memorizing (~10 pgs) and aim for max points (~10 questions) in those sections. Dont waste time on reading optional material

There were atleast 6 questions in Dec & 6 in Jun (recent) exams. I probably missed most of them in Dec, because I sort of memorized and I am sure I got most of them right this time, because I truly memorized it. GIPS, technical analysis & FSA intro require pure memorizing (~10 pgs) and aim for max points (~10 questions) in those sections. Dont waste time on reading optional material