What is the end result?

i think i’ll take capgroup in three rounds. lol. come on fellas, lighten up.

lemonlou1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For those of you that are attacking me on a > personal basis, growup, but then again that is > what is great about the internet you can attack > someone personally and not have to worry about > getting a foot in your @ss. And for those of you > that claim you are not doing the CFA for the > money, please? Finance = money. If there are any > Level 3 candidates or Charter holders not doing > this for the money I got 2 back office positions I > need to fill, just send me your resume. 40k to > start. If I get enough resumes, maybe I can > replace my whole staff of 40 with charter holders. > lemonlou1@gmail.com You sound like a snob sore loser. Bragging about your salary on this forum shows how much of a loser you are in your life. You might be earning 150K or what ever it is, but i am sure you will never be happy in your life.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wish I had the required “skills” to be a > stripper (male); talk about an easy way to make > nice money. Unfortunately most of their clients, especially the big tippers, could play nose tackle for the Oakland Raiders.

lemonlou1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Capgroup 9 are you in Irvine. Thats what I thought > tuff guy. Let me take out my bitterness on your > face. hahahahah… sick. Am I the only one who took this to mean something else??

You have a sick mind …where is lemonlouser?

This dude is exactly why nobody with a half a brain wants to work in the back office.

lemonlou1- I have literally NEVER met anyone who got a FO position via monster. I don’t think thats where most firms really look for their talent. Look into recruiters, alumni networks, things along this line. I’ve only worked in one big name firm and the CFA was a requisite for any analytical positions- at least some progress for entry level and only if there was a top 5 BA/BS along with it. I think you need to do some more research before making these assumptions.

Oh…I wanted to answer lemonhead’s original question. The end result is that we all obtain our CFA charter and work in the front office while little d bags like you work in the back office processing our trades. Have fun with your big 150k a year bo job. 150k a year doesn’t go very far in socal. Ahole

I figured I’d chip in on CPA as I do have one. Of course there are crap load of jobs in financial reporting at banks, funds, pe firms, hedge funds, etc. etc., I get calls from recruiters every week with new jobs. And the pay isn’t bad for 9-5 job, I knew kids leaving to be assistant controllers for 200k after 4-5 years at big 4 accounting firm (so you are 28 or so). But that’s where it really stops, 200-250k salary with a 20-100% bonus depending on a year, doesn’t go up much unless you get into top management. Still not bad at all. Will CFA alone get you much further than that? I really don’t think so. I’d love to think so, but I think you need a lot of other skills than picking a few books and taking a test, we all did this back in college just to a lesser degree. And I’m not saying CPA is any better, I think it’s a pointless exam that proves nothing, it’s the experience at big 4 that gets you jobs I mentioned above, so I’d assume the same applies to being PM, or trader, or anybody, it’s about your experience, the name behind you, and your connections. CFA and CPA are just nice additions to stand out above the guy next to you.

Alright… I don’t usually get into the middle of these things, but maybe my story will help out a little. I understand, everyone has a different view on the value of the charter, but this perhaps indicates the “hidden value.” I’ve been in ultra high net worth wealth management for over 10 years. About 6 years ago, my friend tried to convince me to go for the charter and I laughed him off and said it wasn’t necessary for what I do. Additionally, it sounded like a lot of work. Now go back 2 and a half years ago, when my wife helped convinced me that I should go for the charter. I was being muscled out of a US $5 Bn foundation advisory opportunity. I had an in with the prospect, as did a bond saleswoman who recently joined our bulge bracket firm, in our retail division, after I already had multiple meetings with the prospect. I had done well for myself in my division, was highly respected, but had not attained title due to my role. Anyhow, this saleswoman was not experienced for this opportunity, I was. Also, our division was designed for these UHNW opportunities. She agreed to work with me and our team and we offered to protect her and negotiate revenue sharing as these were her stated concerns. She agreed, then went behind our backs to upper management and started threatening lawsuits saying she was being discriminated against. One of her arguments was that I was junior and didn’t even have a title, she did. On to the conclusion: While folks in my division knew me well and respected me, upper management only saw my name in a directory. Middle managers as they are, would not stick their neck out for me. My team and I were pushed out, the B team came in, and our firm got none of the prospect’s business. She won 100% of nothing… but so did I. So I got my title after this all went down, but it was too late. And interestingly enough, due to recently switching firms, I’ve lost that title. So I agreed with my wife, that I would make title for myself, and pursue the charter. NOW, I was excited and motivated to do it. Point is, no one can take this away from you. Unfortunately, success does follow title in many cases (not all, but think about how many MD’s you know pulling in the big bucks who are morons). Still, this does set you apart and gives you legs to stand on when otherwise you may find yourself at a disadvantage. Now I don’t know if I would’ve successfully defended myself and won that account. But I do know I could’ve rightfully fought for it and made my own threats right back at 'em. I only needed to learn this lesson once and I am thrilled to have passed this year (but I wish I listened to my friend and did it earlier). It isn’t for the money, I could make more doing numerous other things and I still do well: it’s for my self-respect. You need to ask yourself why you are doing this. If it can’t carry you all the way through this program, then you are doing the wrong thing. I wanted it bad, so I claimed it. And all of you who keep whacking away at this thing, you want it bad too. You go get it and earn that respect for yourself, then do what you want with it. Best of luck to you all.

I love seeing all this stuff about caps on pay…dont forget, you can always make your own path and have your own business. There is no cap then on what you can earn. So in some cases doing a back office job might make sense, if it gives you time to start something on the side…not sure why everything has to come from what someone else will give you and it seems people forget you can go out and take/create for yourself. I work in industry managing a region for a smaller tech company. I dont make insane money and could make more at another job and in fact have turned down a few offers. However, I have great bosses and a very flexible schedule, which matters to me because I have a couple of side business where I make 40-75% of my earned income through my “day” job. But I do agree if the guy wants to quit, fine, his decision…not sure what all the hate is for.

Your post if off topic ^ if you want to be an entrepreneur why are you posting on the CFA forum. You missed the point of the discussion. No one ever said there is a cap on starting your own gig. The discussion was over back office versus front office.

Your post is off topic ^ if you want to be an entrepreneur why are you posting on the CFA forum. You missed the point of the discussion. No one ever said there is a cap on starting your own gig. The discussion was over back office versus front office.

akanska hit the nail on the head!!! I work front office, I make good money (great money by lemons standards) and I got not one of my 3 jobs via monster or any other board. YOU GET THEM THROUGH RECRUITERS. No one will pay out >300K for a VP or higher and not go through recruiters, or maybe a personal recommendation from someone. Those are facts!!!