What is the longest time you could be unemployed until it starts to hurt your future opportunities?

In this down turn, nobody knows how long this will last. I want to know how long I can hold out until takes a lesser job.

I’m not worried about that - I would head overseas the very next day and never come back.

There will be plenty of unemployed people in this market for multiple months… I think its not always only about the number of months as it is about your story…

I would think this depends on the position you are looking for. Looking at a resume, when I see a layoff I assume it would take 2-3 months to find a regular intermediate position if the layoff took you by surprise, probably up to 5-6 months for a senior position. I would ask about it in the interview and listen to the answer - many people with little children will take the opportunity offered by the severance pay to stay home several months, for instance. In general, I don’t think it really hurts your future chances - your performance in the interview and your story are most important.

FourCastles, Thanks for your comments. My situation is different. I am graduating soon and from the responses I get, it seems it will take a while. What happened to people with limited experience? And do I still have a chance with an I-bank if I don’t get a job immediately after graduation? I am targeting quant analyst position.

don’t worry, now that you have a burden of a degree, you will unfortunately end up getting a job.

AssetMgrWannabe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FourCastles, > > Thanks for your comments. My situation is > different. I am graduating soon and from the > responses I get, it seems it will take a while. > What happened to people with limited experience? > And do I still have a chance with an I-bank if I > don’t get a job immediately after graduation? I am > targeting quant analyst position. People graduating in 1992 (when there was a recession in my country) had difficulties finding a job in finance or at all, so they had to take whatever jobs they could find (in other industries and/or blue collar jobs). When it turned, companies rather hired people with a fresh degree and no work experience than people with a somewhat more seasoned degree and just “irrelevant” work experience. I remember reading an article about one guy who had had some high position with a finance company, and who lost his job in 1992. In spite of enormous effort he could not find another position, until one day he was in luck and was offered a job as a vacuum cleaner salesman, knocking on people’s doors, trying to sell them vacuum cleaners. Meanwhile he had had to give up his house etc etc. The interview was made much later, of course, when he had advanced to some director’s position within that rather large and well-known company. If you’re sidetracked, and have to land a lowly job in some other industry, I fear it will take you years and years before you can make your way back into the industry your targeting…

Thanks, Wawa, what you said is exactly what I fear. I was a software developer for a financial service firm (not I-bank) before I am doing this degree. So I guess I am not a complete new graduate. I probably have to take a financial developer position first. But then what is the point getting this degree?

thanks wawa u destroyed my mood early monday morning … I’m a part qualified management accountant and I’ve got experience with SMEs… Even if the job if passionating (performance improvement,competitive strategy, organic growth, investment in fixed assets ect ect) I’d like to get my carrer to the next level. I want to clear level1 before job hunting in a serious way; - Can someone advise on my employability please? - How competitive my profile would be for an analyst job? - Will it be a challenge to get a job or can I reasonably expect to find a decent job within 2 - 3 months ?? Thanks in advance

D’Artagnan, I think you can find something in the thread “Passed Level 1 but still unemployed”. You’d find that it does not really mmake a difference and everyone here will tell you, passing L1 means sh**