What is the worst part about studying?

For real, studying is darn difficult, right? Does anyone have an interesting story of how you have overcome its omnipresence?

i quit studying

It’s just a matter of mental discipline. You can force yourself to do anything. You’ll be ok you’ve accepted the fact that you will do nothing except study in your spare time between now and June. It’s only difficult when you try to balance it with other stuff that you’d rather be doing, because you’ll be bored when you’re studying and guilty when your doing other stuff. Lose-lose situation.

What’s difficult is the sacrifices you’re forced to make…i’m still sitting on the fence whether to go to a bachelor party weekend in Vegas three weeks before the exam…throw in the fact two of these guys (engineers) are major alcoholics (these two started planning this in january!)…I’m worried the hardcore drinkin’ will erase everything I’ve learned.

spreads Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s difficult is the sacrifices you’re forced > to make…i’m still sitting on the fence whether > to go to a bachelor party weekend in Vegas three > weeks before the exam…throw in the fact two of > these guys (engineers) are major alcoholics (these > two started planning this in january!)…I’m > worried the hardcore drinkin’ will erase > everything I’ve learned. Resist the temptation. If you fail, you will always have that regret. If you go, you won’t be 100% into it as you will feel guilty for not studying.

My wife having no clue what CFA means. My friends have all congratulated me big time about passing L1 in dec then L2 in June and my wife just looks at it as an excuse to be away. It sucks, for me I am making a choice for a better life for the family in the long term.

spreads Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s difficult is the sacrifices you’re forced > to make…i’m still sitting on the fence whether > to go to a bachelor party weekend in Vegas three > weeks before the exam…throw in the fact two of > these guys (engineers) are major alcoholics (these > two started planning this in january!)…I’m > worried the hardcore drinkin’ will erase > everything I’ve learned. I still go to bachelor parties and do all the things I want to do. In fact, I am going to Vegas at the end of this month for a bachelor party. I never let studying get in the way of life’s greatest experiences. As long as you start studying fairly early for the exams, you can still party, go out, do things and pass these exams. Don’t let the CFA beat you down - life is too short. Go to Vegas buddy. When you are 60 and looking back on your life, you will regret not going. The CFA is not the golden ticket that everybody thinks it is.

The key is separating the things that are important to you long-term (bachelor party maybe) and all the other stuff that you won’t remember a year down the road anyways (golfing, watching NCAA tourney, etc). You also have to think about what you will miss if you fail and have to spend another year studying.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The key is separating the things that are > important to you long-term (bachelor party maybe) > and all the other stuff that you won’t remember a > year down the road anyways (golfing, watching NCAA > tourney, etc). > > You also have to think about what you will miss if > you fail and have to spend another year studying. well-said

thommo77 Wrote: > > I still go to bachelor parties and do all the > things I want to do. In fact, I am going to Vegas > at the end of this month for a bachelor party. I > never let studying get in the way of life’s > greatest experiences. As long as you start > studying fairly early for the exams, you can still > party, go out, do things and pass these exams. True. Starting early is key.

worst part is that you gotta study everyday in the last months even if your health is down :frowning:

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spreads Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What’s difficult is the sacrifices you’re > forced > > to make…i’m still sitting on the fence > whether > > to go to a bachelor party weekend in Vegas > three > > weeks before the exam…throw in the fact two > of > > these guys (engineers) are major alcoholics > (these > > two started planning this in january!)…I’m > > worried the hardcore drinkin’ will erase > > everything I’ve learned. > > > I still go to bachelor parties and do all the > things I want to do. In fact, I am going to Vegas > at the end of this month for a bachelor party. I > never let studying get in the way of life’s > greatest experiences. As long as you start > studying fairly early for the exams, you can still > party, go out, do things and pass these exams. > Don’t let the CFA beat you down - life is too > short. Go to Vegas buddy. When you are 60 and > looking back on your life, you will regret not > going. The CFA is not the golden ticket that > everybody thinks it is. Agreed, i think i was hanging out almost every sat/sun while i was studying for CFA (Unless i was just home relaxing and watching a movie or something). There is a LOT of time in the day to study - early in the morning before work, lunch time, early on weekends, during commute, etc etc, the time you usually waste by reading newspaper, sleeping in, posting on facebook or af…

By the end I really enjoyed the studying. It became so familiar it was calming.

Very good points csk, thommo and mcleod…I already have long been making those sacrifices (stopped the thursday night poker games), nephew’s birthday and almost never go out on the weekends…my work schedule is most likely to change as well, so that will be a big factor whether or not i’ll go…

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > By the end I really enjoyed the studying. It > became so familiar it was calming. This, I was lost and kind of anxious after June 5th last year. I felt like the people running with Forest Gump when he just stopped… I like CFA b/c I like being busy; literally I have 0 free time and it gives me an excuse for not going to social functions I have no interest in…

I live in the Midwest, so the winter is cold. I almost always do my studying at a few coffee shops that are in my city’s downtown area. The worst part of studying was closer to exam day, when the weather would start to warm up. Those early few Friday and Saturdays of Spring/Summer where I’d have to sit in the coffee shop as dozens of girls wearing their first miniskirts of the season walked past really tested my meddle. It was almost as if they were calling to me.

PS I overcame it by instilling in me a strong sense of self-loathing, bordering on hatred. Once I realized that I despised myself, studying became my preferred form of masochism.