What % of the test is Quantitative?

Thoughts? Is 50% of the test using the formulas or less? estimates? Thanks!

I thought mayybe at most 20%? considering ethics is a large portion, i can’t imagine 50% of the exam was quantitative… that would mean that more than 50% of the rest of the topics required some sort of calculations

In level 1, only about 2 topics include some minor calculations. Especially the various ways in which the information ratio can be calculated. The rest is mostly about remembering the types of private equity, hedge funds,etc. Their historic performance and stuff along those lines. Don’t expect it to be more quantitative. However, note that the portion is going to change drastically for the next session. I don’t know about the new curriculum, it must be posted on the website

I was shocked by how few of the questions actually involved calculations.

AshwinG Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In level 1, only about 2 topics include some minor > calculations. Especially the various ways in which > the information ratio can be calculated. > > The rest is mostly about remembering the types of > private equity, hedge funds,etc. Their historic > performance and stuff along those lines. > > Don’t expect it to be more quantitative. > > However, note that the portion is going to change > drastically for the next session. I don’t know > about the new curriculum, it must be posted on the > website Thanks Ashwin. Also, you mention the drastic changes. How do you know what is going to change. And as a result, would you recommend NOT buying 2010 or 2011 editions of study notes, etc. (much cheaper). Also, how much of L2 would you say is quantitative? just curious. Thanks again.

I know because I emailed CAIA, a snippet of the reply I got is, “The Level II March 2012 syllabus will change. It will be posted on our website on Monday, October 3: the opening day of registration for the March 2012 exams. There will be significant changes to the Level II curriculum.” I did not yet give level 2 so I can’t say for sure. But, from the notes that I saw, again, it is very qualitative. The new portion may be different. I wouldn’t suggest buying the old editions till you look at the errata and figure out how much has changed. Also, the examination fee for both levels are going to increase by 200-300$ from September 2012.