What results have people gotten with putting CFA exams on resume?

I’m curious, has anyone gotten any noticable improvements on their occupation-searches with having one or all of the CFA exam completed (although still in the process of attaining the designation)? I’d be very intrested in knowing everyone’s experiences.

It has helped definetly, especially since passing Level II. Just my 2

The number of message left by recruiter has increased. (quantity). Quality…not so good.

Agree with ws.

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The number of message left by recruiter has > increased. (quantity). Quality…not so good. I concur

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It has helped definetly, especially since passing > Level II. Just my 2 I’m a newbie who hasn’t taken an exam yet and I can definitely see that. Although after passing Level I employers will look at you as someone that has a little edge over the other entry level guy, but after passing level II you’ll look like someone who is knowledgeable, passionate, and determined to continue with the CFA track.

I noticed a marginal improvement, though not to the extent that I expected (or hoped).

Didn’t know what equity and bond are before the prep. of CFA I.(no kidding)

I noticed a slight improvement after passing level 1. I think it was a factor in getting a job at the time. I haven’t been in the job market since passing L2 and L3, but I’m just starting to get out there again. I’m hoping that the charter will put me in front of higher quality opportunities. Not to hijack, but has anyone got a boost from getting accepted into a top MBA program? I will be applying at some top 10 MBA programs (nights / weekends) and I’m wondering if this could give me a boost. A boost after I’m accepted of course…

^^^^ Actually, I did notice something similiar to what some here have stated. This is totally antecedotal, but when I look at applications for various firms in financing etc., it seems that the lesser “known” firms that are relatively new (20 - 30 years) and smaller are usually the ones that list “CFA” explicitly as something they find as desirable. However, for the larger legacy firms, I often not seen CFA listed explicitly in their desirable requirements. I do see “advanced degrees,” etc , but usualy not hte CFA. Do the older legacy firms look down on CFA Charter? Or perhaps they just arn’t very impressed with the charter… which sort of undermines part of the incentive for doing them? As opposed to just getting an advanced degree in something that is in demand.

The effect isn’t as big as many people here expect it to be.

mcpass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The effect isn’t as big as many people here expect > it to be. Agreed. The CFA is definitely respectable but it should only supplement everything else you have going for you.

willchan11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mcpass Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The effect isn’t as big as many people here > expect > > it to be. > > > Agreed. The CFA is definitely respectable but it > should only supplement everything else you have > going for you. Agreed.

I thought I could get any job I wanted by making my resume into a page with only my name, telephone number, and a big CFA logo that takes up the rest of the page… Are you saying that won’t work?

Funny, my big “C.F.A. - II, charter expected in 2008” isn’t getting any attention at all, even when I use the CFA logo as a watermark. :wink:

It’s because you’re watermark is too light. You have to make it darker so it can be seen more easily. Or get someone to do the logo as a raised stamp so they can feel the CFA logo. Or you can make your resume into a pop-up where the CFA logo is attached to a spring and it will pop out when it’s opened, swing back-and-forth like a jack-in-a-box and “We are the champions” by Queen will start playing at the same time. If that doesn’t get you the job of your dreams, I don’t know what will.

For a time I put at the very bottom of my resume that I had passed Level I of the CFA Exam/I was a Level II Candidate, but later decided to omit the line altogether so I could just expand the top and bottom margins of my resume

did not change anything, at any stage, was already too old and too senior for that however I learnt a lot of stuff, felt much more comfy within areas outside my daily work

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not to hijack, but has anyone got a boost from > getting accepted into a top MBA program? I will be > applying at some top 10 MBA programs (nights / > weekends) and I’m wondering if this could give me > a boost. A boost after I’m accepted of course… I’m considering doing the same. I think it’s going to help professionally. Which schools are you considering?

agreed with most of my friends here For job hunt a big Zero(atleast till L-II candidate status even if you get all>70% in all subjs in L-I) for knowledge,Immense value with a cost tag