What Should I Do??? I need advise, please!!!

I have passed cfa level 2. But actually I have always been doing accounting jobs for almost three years since I finished my Master degree. What should I do to get in financial analysis sector??? I am currently in Australia. I graduated from the University of Queensland with a master degree of Commerce(advanced) which includes two majors: Applied Finance and Professional Accounting. My GPA is pretty high 6.063 of 7. I am passionate about financial analysis that is why I started my CFA study and have done Level 2. But in Australia the financial market is not that big, and there are much more accounting jobs than financial jobs. And also most employers put more weight on experience instead of academic qualifications. It is really hard for me to get in this area, even I have passed Level 2 and have very solid academic knowledge. I am almost 30 now, and I am really worried about my career. I came to Australia 5 years ago from China. Do I really need to give up the current job and find some entry financial jobs with really low pay? Are there any better alternatives? Please give me some advice, because I am nearly desperate!!!

Your name is Sanjeev, but you’re from China?

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Your name is Sanjeev, but you’re from China? Haha. Nice catch, storko! May be he was working in a production/manufacturing unit in China and dumping cheap $hit in other countries with a label of Made in India.

sanjeev2009 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have passed cfa level 2. But actually I have > always been doing accounting jobs for almost three > years since I finished my Master degree. What > should I do to get in financial analysis > sector??? > > I am currently in Australia. I graduated from the > University of Queensland with a master degree of > Commerce(advanced) which includes two majors: > Applied Finance and Professional Accounting. My > GPA is pretty high 6.063 of 7. I am passionate > about financial analysis that is why I started my > CFA study and have done Level 2. But in Australia > the financial market is not that big, and there > are much more accounting jobs than financial jobs. > And also most employers put more weight on > experience instead of academic qualifications. It > is really hard for me to get in this area, even I > have passed Level 2 and have very solid academic > knowledge. I am almost 30 now, and I am really > worried about my career. I came to Australia 5 > years ago from China. > > Do I really need to give up the current job and > find some entry financial jobs with really low > pay? Are there any better alternatives? > > Please give me some advice, because I am nearly > desperate!!! From all the Chinese ex-pats that I have worked with, they all say that could make tons more $$$ working in China/HK with a western degree and ability to communicate in English. So have you ever given a thought of working there? Or is the info. I’ve been told not true?

I don’t accounting counts as acceptable work experience towards the charter, FYI. I know the big 4 hire finance people for their deal/transaction services, and many other accounting firms do that as well. perhaps you can try some kind of internal transfer, if that option is on the table?

Is cfaboston28 your real name? Sanjeev is just my ID. Use your brain before speak. You should be really worried about your CFA exam, and your problem is not only you are so dumb but also you think you are smart. I am from China, and please show some respect. People are working hard over there. Hi noytmikcap, your info was totally right. Chinese people who had western degree and with fluent english ability used to be able to earn heaps of money. But not anymore in financial industry, since financie crisis in US, many people who used to work for Wall St lost jobs and they came to Shanghai. In Shanghai they can almost get same pay as they did on Wall St.

how come a chinese in love with an indian male name? Sound weird. Yes my name is cfaboston28. My graduate degree and birth certificate has this name as my first name.

cfaboston28, such a beautiful ethnic name.

It is a good name, hehe

if you’re really from China, how come you appear so rude in your post? Most Chinese are very very polite. sanjeev2009 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is cfaboston28 your real name? Sanjeev is just my > ID. Use your brain before speak. > > You should be really worried about your CFA exam, > and your problem is not only you are so dumb but > also you think you are smart. > > I am from China, and please show some respect. > People are working hard over there. > > Hi noytmikcap, your info was totally right. > Chinese people who had western degree and with > fluent english ability used to be able to earn > heaps of money. But not anymore in financial > industry, since financie crisis in US, many people > who used to work for Wall St lost jobs and they > came to Shanghai. In Shanghai they can almost get > same pay as they did on Wall St.

So what now? Asians can’t be rude or be pissed off, what a crock of shiit! Lets just stereotype everybody and be done with it. Lets suppress freedom of expressions outside on your assigned stereotype and be communist about it. This is like me saying “all Americans are rude and if one is actually polite, s/he is out of line” How did a post asking for Career Advice get turned into a spat? sanjeev2009: good luck on your career choices, you are on the right path for being almost 30. My other advice is to not take crapp from people on or off the job;) June2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you’re really from China, how come you appear > so rude in your post? Most Chinese are very very > polite. > > sanjeev2009 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Is cfaboston28 your real name? Sanjeev is just > my > > ID. Use your brain before speak. > > > > You should be really worried about your CFA > exam, > > and your problem is not only you are so dumb > but > > also you think you are smart. > > > > I am from China, and please show some respect. > > People are working hard over there. > > > > Hi noytmikcap, your info was totally right. > > Chinese people who had western degree and with > > fluent english ability used to be able to earn > > heaps of money. But not anymore in financial > > industry, since financie crisis in US, many > people > > who used to work for Wall St lost jobs and they > > came to Shanghai. In Shanghai they can almost > get > > same pay as they did on Wall St.

Thanks Nep-hi. I will keep your advice in my mind. Hi June2010 if I was not from China, I would not have been pissed off in the first place. Are we really gonna keep arguing on if I am a real chinese? This will end nowhere, and does it really matter? Hi everybody, all I want is just your advice or suggestion on my career. So, let’s get back on the track and bring up some thoughts. It will be really appreciated!

Try to migrate to another country. Hong Kong has a big financial industry. Try your luck there.

Sanjeev, looking the way you structure your post…you appear to be an Indian.+ your name also suggests so… surprisngly CFAboston can catch this…so my guess…even he is an Indian… but then how does this mater…form wherever you are…its immaterial to your initial post dont take crap form these people…most probably they are jobless and want to discourage other worthy people I mean this (May be he was working in a production/manufacturing unit in China and dumping cheap $hit in other countries with a label of Made in India.) is really racist …wait for another 20 odd years…if this is someone’s attitude…soon he will be part of a museum ( as claimed by Thomas Friedman)…

Alchemist1320 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sanjeev, > > looking the way you structure your post…you > appear to be an Indian.+ your name also suggests > so… > > surprisngly CFAboston can catch this…so my > guess…even he is an Indian… > > but then how does this mater…form wherever you > are…its immaterial to your initial post > > dont take crap form these people…most probably > they are jobless and want to discourage other > worthy people > > I mean this (May be he was working in a > production/manufacturing unit in China and dumping > cheap $hit in other countries with a label of Made > in India.) is really racist …wait for another > 20 odd years…if this is someone’s > attitude…soon he will be part of a museum ( as > claimed by Thomas Friedman)… We have many Sanjays/Sanjeev in our IT industry, Hospitals and in taxi stands. So that was easy. I would love to be a part of Madame Tussauds’ museum. Sanjeev2009 - It is hard to find a job these days especially in Finance. As you are saying, Australia doesn’t have a big financial market then you need to try your luck in Hong Kong/Singapore(these markets are high rollers in Asia Pacific/South east asian region) where you can get a decent shot.

Alchemist1320 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sanjeev, > > looking the way you structure your post…you > appear to be an Indian Can u please elaborate?

Hi Guys, I am Hemant and I am from India( hopefuly thr is no catch in this one!!). I am in the same boat as sanjeev. I have taken L2 in june and i performed quite well. I have around 3 yrs experience in accounting n m trying 2 break into finance. I am commerce graduate from delhi university(No MBA). I hv tried entry levl equity research, derivatives n almost everything in finance job market. Nothing works… I am currently working with HSBC bank(accounting and reporting). Here we have some “Treasury” related job openings bt again they require experience. Please advise if working in Treasury depmnt of bank will help me somehow? How about FRM? Will FRM help in some ways.

hs_1811 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Guys, > I am Hemant and I am from India( hopefuly thr is > no catch in this one!!). I am in the same boat as > sanjeev. I have taken L2 in june and i performed > quite well. I have around 3 yrs experience in > accounting n m trying 2 break into finance. I am > commerce graduate from delhi university(No MBA). I > hv tried entry levl equity research, derivatives n > almost everything in finance job market. Nothing > works… > > I am currently working with HSBC bank(accounting > and reporting). Here we have some “Treasury” > related job openings bt again they require > experience. Please advise if working in Treasury > depmnt of bank will help me somehow? How about > FRM? Will FRM help in some ways. No charter/certificate would help significantly in making a switch. All you need is work exp. Try to talk about your interest to someone in that department. Networking is a key. If you are running a company/research dept, would you hire someone who has no exp but has cleared 3 tough exams? I would go after exp.

Thanks cfaboston28. I agree exp. is the key specially in 2dys tough mkt. I m putting al my energies in finding d right job…n i know i vil hv 2 b patient. But since i vil take my next CFA attempt in June 2010 (Hopefuly L3), i am thinking of utilizing the time i hv till thn. Wat do u suggest…Wil FRM add value? i think course material is similar in FRM as L2. So i think it vil enhance my resume but not sure hw much knowledge i vil gain. Or should i just concentrate on gaining more practical knowledge of mrkt n netwrking?

lol hs_1811 Are you typing from a phone? Your writing skills are like a 15 year old teenager. omg thx lol