What should I do? – Please advise

First, congrats to those who passed For those who failed, I hope you fill better than i do now. I failed too, and this is my AM score Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 * - - 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 * - - 6 Alternative Investments 11 - * - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 * - - 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - * - 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 - * - 11 Portfolio Management 9 * - It looks so bad that I start to think that is something very wrong with these results. What do you think is it possible that my AM paper is only partially graded, or something else, i do now what, went wrong and I got so unexpectedly, and in comparison with my expectation, unbelievably poor results?

do you think it is possible that you made a transcription error on your bubble sheet and then carried the error through the other questions, that is, each successive question was off by one. That would create a mess like that.

that is AM, no bubble sheet

That wouldn’t be possible for the written part of the exam.

AFter reading your post, no offense, but it seems your written english is weak. The grader may have a hard time trying to understand what you are saying.

Brant, thank you for the message, we agree in one, these results are complete mess. I do not know what could i have done to make such disaster, but i know that i left AM pretty satisfied…

needhelp, yes, english is not my native language, but do you think it is so bad that grader would not want grade my paper?

I don’t think they refused to grade your paper or anything but perhaps you were unclear in your points. May I suggest that instead of constructing sentences you learn how to construct bullet points. Bullets are easier to write and don’t need a lot of grammar.

stalla said the average ppl got 50% for the morning session, and it’s important to get good mc marks. if i were u, my strategy will be only focusing on the questions i know how to answer for the morning session, if ur issue was time or stress. but it is another story if u did not study enough or u just don’t get it… but i guess ur handwriting would be important as well, cos even i passed, i felt i should have got the last two AM questions (but i didn’t get good marks). i blamed my handwriting…

rachel.li52 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > stalla said the average ppl got 50% for the > morning session, and it’s important to get good mc > marks. if i were u, my strategy will be only > focusing on the questions i know how to answer for > the morning session, if ur issue was time or > stress. but it is another story if u did not study > enough or u just don’t get it… but i guess ur > handwriting would be important as well, cos even i > passed, i felt i should have got the last two AM > questions (but i didn’t get good marks). i blamed > my handwriting… did stalla say what average PM score was?

OK, my english is disadvantage, but some questions did not ask for one signle word, I remeber BF question, it was only to circle an option, and I am almost sure I did it 100%. In results i got below 50%! some other question required only a word: below, average, above, and i strongly believe i did them well too. Regarding handwriting, i remember i read somewhere something like “grader will do everything is possible to decipher every handwriting”… Sorry i still cannot believe this is true

After you circle the answer, you have to specify why

Just go take an English 101 course and you will pass next year for sure.

It is hard to remember now, three months after, but I think that BF question did not ask for any explanation. There were three very simple cases with given answers, like overconfidence, representativeness and some third options , with no explanations required, I think i could not miss that question anyhow BTW these are my complete results Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 * - - 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 * - - 6 Alternative Investments 11 - * - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 * - - 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - * - 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 - * - 11 Portfolio Management 9 * Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - - *

V&I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is hard to remember now, three months after, > but I think that BF question did not ask for any > explanation. > > There were three very simple cases with given > answers, like overconfidence, representativeness > and some third options , with no explanations > required I’m 99% certain that the behavioral finance question did require explanation. Questions 1-5 were your problem, especially the IPS stuff.

Your morning paper was graded by 11 different initial graders (although you can make up a story that it was a few less). Then it is likely that at least a couple of problems were regraded by a senior grader. It’s just not the grader’s fault and graders try very hard not to penalize people for poor grammar, writing, punctuation, etc… I would do very poorly on this exam in any language besides English.

Yes, 1-5 i got nothing, that’s very strage to me. Aside from BF, instutional IPS was also ok and simple. Individual IPS also was doable, i checked numbers on AF and I was ok. Though, now i would agree with scores on all other questions if i would be 100% sure that comments were required on BF question. Than i could blame my English and my handwriting and forget that I will ever pass L3. BTW i was much more satisfied after AM than after PM

I am aslo a non-English speaker and I think my writing skill is not good either. However I pass this exam for 3/3. My advice is to make more efforts on PM, because that is easier to handle. Good luck for next year !

JDV, thank you for the post JDV you think that omission that half of my AM paper was completely overlooked is impossible and therefore retabulation would not change my score significantly?

I am 99% sure that you only get 1 point for picking the right answer and the rest of the points on offering correct explanation.