what should this job pay?

In this position the analyst is responsible for analyzing money managers and must have the ability to analyze investment strategies. Extracting data from applications such as Morningstar, Ebbotson, Zephyr or Mobeus. Partner with a Financial Advisor to compile and present data to Board of Directors of numerous municipalities. Must have the ability and experience to analyze investment strategies as well as asset allocation models. Analyze existing money managers and analyze risk.

$65,000 this is what the two analysts in my group do. This is a multi manager of FOF shop. I’m pretty good at Zephyr if you have any questions. I just analyze the output. Usually I know ahead of time what the results will be but the analysis is partly due diligence on our team’s part and partially politics as it gives us, or I should say, provokes us to ask questions of our managers moving foward. Up/down capture and information ratio are a couple of the things I look at. Basically Zephyr is a style advisor. I use Morningstar too for holdings based analysis but not so much Mobeus. I imagine it’s more of the same however. Willy

this job pays 80-100k

Yeah right. Where then Goldenboy? Willy

40-45k & maybe a bonus of 5%. This is an admin. job. Good for a summer internship in college.

houston. No joke. I met with the team today and thinking about joining . They work with mainly fire departments,police departments and school districts across the nation. The job requires about 25%-50% travel. Its 60 base with bonus from 20-40.

$200,000 minimum entry level. Even back office pays $75,000 out of college.

some BO roles on the street do pay that high all in. I know of several HF’s that pay double that for exp BO people. You are also leaving out the overtime part. Many work 5-20 extra hours a week.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > houston. No joke. I met with the team today and > thinking about joining . They work with mainly > fire departments,police departments and school > districts across the nation. The job requires > about 25%-50% travel. Its 60 base with bonus from > 20-40. Once you start traveling that 25-50%, you will see why the compensation is higher. If I were you, I would inquire on their travel policies: 1.) Will you be traveling on Sundays or after typical “business day” hours? 2.) If you are, do you get to book your own travel or is an administrative assistant going to be booking you on flights with two connections and a three hour layover in order to save the company an extra $100? 3.) Are you going to have to share a hotel room with someone? 4.) Are you going to be traveling to major cities or will you be going to places like Mobile, Alabama? 5.) Does policy allow you to participate in awards (point/miles) programs? Trust me, when the airport security line is 30 minutes long and you’ve got 20 to get through and catch the last gate in the farthest terminal, you will appreciate having that frequent flier airline status that lets you to check in with first class customers and go through their separate security line.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: studying for the CFA exam while traveling 50% is pretty tough.

the job sounds sweet no matter what the pay is.

Plan sponsor consulting is what I would consider this job, from the descriptions that you’ve given; lots of mutual fund and asset allocation analysis.

Lisa Marie makes some very very good points. The only thing I’d partially disagree with is studying while traveling…I actually got a lot of reading done while waiting for flights and in the air. But traveling sucks IMHO.

Once, in my twenties, I had a couple of work assignments (2-4 weeks), where I had to share a hotel room with someone. Never again.

when you guys travel, how much time do you guys get to look around in the city?

you ask some funny questions frank. i don’t travel a lot for work but when i do I tend to have meetings all day and then work dinner plans as well. but, sometimes you can stretch a business trip to include a weekend and that gives you some time.

It depends on the trip and then firm. I have traveled to Puerto Rico many times for work…the best is in march when its 28 in Newark and 87 in PR. But I also traveled into BUF, so you basically have to hope you get free time when you want it.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > when you guys travel, how much time do you guys > get to look around in the city? Frank - this is actually a pretty good question. Generally, when you travel, you are expected to work longer hours because the firm does not want to drop $2-4K a week to have you leaving at 5 p.m. to go explore every night. However, I have mastered the art of seeing what there is to see in the cities I travel (just see my Toronto thread). I have spent the past 2 years traveling approx. 50% for work - which has it’s upsides and downsides. In the past year, I spent time in L.A., San Francisco, New York, Boston, Vancouver, Toronto, New Orleans, etc., but I have also spent entire weeks in places such as West Point, MS and Newbern, TN. I have not had the chance to spend a month in Paris/Barcelona/Austrailia/Asia/Mexico like some of my coworkers who have more experience than I do.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lisa Marie makes some very very good points. The > only thing I’d partially disagree with is studying > while traveling…I actually got a lot of reading > done while waiting for flights and in the air. > But traveling sucks IMHO. You must be the man, because I consider traveling to be a key factor as to why I could not keep a steady study plan for LII. Something about the screaming babies, airport anouncements every 3 seconds and 10 people sitting around me at all times on their cell phones…plus I could only lug so many materials with me at one time - I have trouble running through airports with all that weight in my laptop case.

What do you have to lug around besides a calculator and one Schweser book per trip?