What Sounds Like The Best Opp For A Recent Grad?

I hope you guys aren’t sick of my posts but I need advice from people that know what they’re talking about. None of these are official offers but interviews I’m going through and I’m wondering which positions sound like the best opps: Analyst (Monitoring and Reporting)- Private Equity Fund of Funds (Hamilton Lane) Client Service Associate (NOT call center related and NOT Series 7 related…learning Separate Managed Accounts and servicing them, clients, analyst, etc.)- Money Management Firm (Lord Abbett) Entry Level Financial Analyst- myCIO Wealth Partners (www.myciowp.com)

Analyst

I vote for CSA - because you will learn more from working with clients and various departments. That analyst job won’t put you any closer to investment process than being a CSA… if it’s just monitoring and reporting.

What do analysts in monitoring/reporting do on the day-to-day?

CSA

uh how can people answer this if you don’t specify what your long-term career goals are…

He’s probably clueless about his long term career goals. Even if he thinks what they are they are probably way off the mark. This is just a first job. There will be plenty of time to change it up later if he so chooses.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > He’s probably clueless about his long term career > goals. Even if he thinks what they are they are > probably way off the mark. This is just a first > job. There will be plenty of time to change it up > later if he so chooses. Danteshek I think you are a mind reader. The Analyst- Monitoring/Reporting position pretty much simply is that, “monitoring and reporting.” I didn’t think I’ll gain much useful knowledge from that. I was leaning towards the CSA position at Lord b/c it’s the oldest money management firm in the US and very prestigious…also offers lots of opp for growth, networking, learning, etc. Also as I study for CFA hopefully passing a couple of levels will help me move around the firm. The Monitoring Reporting position on a daily basis consists of: “To satisfy the needs of our growing client base, Hamilton Lane is looking to hire an Analyst in our Reporting and Monitoring Group. The Reporting Group is responsible for monitoring the performance of portfolios and investments using cutting edge analytics and proprietary software which was developed in house. Our strong, knowledgeable team is actively involved in client interaction and communications as well as special projects and initiatives with all departments including research, business development, due diligence, and relationship management.” As far as my career goals are concerned “I say” I want to go into equity research and one day be a fund manager/money manager but Danteshek is right, I’m not 100% sure what I want to do. If I end up working for a company and one day get the opp to do something else that seems interesting on Wall Street then who’s not to say that I won’t go for that. The Fin Analyst position at myCIO- I have no idea what it entails, all I know is these guys are supposedly very wealthy… the partners at least. One was named one of the Top 100 Wealth Managers by the Robb Report for 8 years or so in a row. Also it’s not your average fin planning firm, they do CIO advisory work and counsel 40 former and current chairman, Presidents and CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies.

If you are a people person with decent technical knowledge and good communication skills, working with clients is great. As much as one likes to think that managing a great portfolio with a record of out-performance is valuable… someone who can attract new money and keep clients from redeeming their shares in hard times is just as important, and some would say (and pay) even more.

TP, what are ur credentials like if u dont mind sharing

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TP, what are ur credentials like if u dont mind > sharing Nothing remarkable- Recent Grad…good school (not Ivy), on the level of PSU or Pitt. 3-year internship at a large fast growing Financial Services company, spent time in various departments (Finance, AP, Procurement, HR). 1-year internship at a boutique investment advisory/financial planning firm. Short 6 month stint as a Fund Accountant after graduation. Other stuff- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer IRS Tax Preparer, Professional Acct Org, Finance Orgs in College, Community Service awards., Ibanking Workshop, Level 1 Candidate. And the most important part that most people forget- a great resume presentation. Until recently my resume was “plain jane” and I couldn’t get a response from anyone (that’s how I ended up as a Fund Acct). I recently researched powerful resume fonts and presentations and it’s made a hell of a difference. Also I’ve learned if you get rejected from a company after an interview, don’t be afraid to apply again for even the same position if you’ve gained new skills since last applying.

Those credentials sound alot better than many of my friends who graduated recently. Some come out of school with nothing but a degree and bartending experience. A tip, try to spin alot of those implying leadership traits. This could be explained on the cover letter.

TPain. Give me an email at buyside22@gmail.com and introduce yourself to me. I believe I’m in the same area as you (based on the firms mentioned in your post) and can try helping you out on your career search.

stylemog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > uh how can people answer this if you don’t specify > what your long-term career goals are… Easy, I always know what’s best for people. I know the best thing for you would be to shut up.

Hey TP I’m a CSA in a large money management firm. If you want to talk email me at Danteshek at gmail or catch me on Google Talk. (handle = Danteshek)

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > stylemog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > uh how can people answer this if you don’t > specify > > what your long-term career goals are… > > Easy, I always know what’s best for people. I > know the best thing for you would be to shut up. whoa… easy there big guy

Danteshek & MlpGuy- You’ve Got Mail.