what to bring to the exam

you will be surprised at how little you can bring into the exam - a passport, calculator and a pencil - that’s it. if you bring in a phone and they see it you fail, if you bring in a piece of paper and they see it you fail, if you write something on the test that you should not you fail, if you take too long in the bathroom you can get written up, if someone coughs next to you and is suspected of cheating you fail. not a joke all this stuff has happened so take it seriously. and ffs do not bring 10 pencils or 5 batteries or anything in between. you could pass the exam without a calculator, just so you all know.

I love the folks who bring 2 calculators and 10 pencils. I’ve been using this same dumpy HP 12c now for 3 years and I haven’t even had to so much as adjust the contrast due to battery life. I bring 2 mechanical pencils as well (I’ve used the same ones since I took level 1 - literally, the same pencils). Suppose I should bring a spare battery set but I have yet to. Last year at the Chicago site, there was one (1) kid with a cellphone 2 rows ahead. He coughed it up at the last minute.

Bought this HP12C 4 months back, was wondering whether I should buy an extra pair of batteries… guess not! cgeorgan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love the folks who bring 2 calculators and 10 > pencils. > > I’ve been using this same dumpy HP 12c now for 3 > years and I haven’t even had to so much as adjust > the contrast due to battery life. I bring 2 > mechanical pencils as well (I’ve used the same > ones since I took level 1 - literally, the same > pencils). Suppose I should bring a spare battery > set but I have yet to. > > Last year at the Chicago site, there was one (1) > kid with a cellphone 2 rows ahead. He coughed it > up at the last minute.

Well, that would be me (the 2 calculators). Calculators do break down – not often, but it happens on occasion. I had to return my first HP 12C due to a defective number pad. Why take a chance when you’ve got so much riding on this thing? cgeorgan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love the folks who bring 2 calculators and 10 > pencils. > > I’ve been using this same dumpy HP 12c now for 3 > years and I haven’t even had to so much as adjust > the contrast due to battery life. I bring 2 > mechanical pencils as well (I’ve used the same > ones since I took level 1 - literally, the same > pencils). Suppose I should bring a spare battery > set but I have yet to. > > Last year at the Chicago site, there was one (1) > kid with a cellphone 2 rows ahead. He coughed it > up at the last minute.

Hey wt if some one doesnt have a international passport?? Do they accept any other IDs?

Hey sugi, if you registered for the exam before Jan 1 you can use any government-issued photo ID. If you registered later, you have to have a valid passport (I emailed then to check this). Cheers

@ Kiakaha…thanks a lot…i applied by sep 2010…its a great relief if its true… is it country specific…whom shld i mail n ask… pls help me out this… Any reply will help me a lot…

hey sugi, if you log in on the CFA institute website there is a customer service contact page…i just wrote to them on that and they responded within a day or so. i don’t think it’s country specific, i’m sure you’ll be fine. but it’s better to get it in writing from them anyway. cheers!

Hey kiakaha… i mailed them and got a reply telling i dont need a npassport now… :slight_smile: Thank u… Then hw s ur prep man…