What would you ask a CFA Exam/Curriculum Writer?

I’ll be meeting one on Thursday at a society event. Does anyone have some questions they feel should be asked? Off the cuff I am wondering about the 3 vs 4 multiple choice change. But other than that I don’t have too many unanswered questions. What are your Qs?

I have access to one as well. I will assure you that they won’t even know if their questions have made the exam as the security surrounding the exam is fairly tight these days. Also, some of the old test takers will remember that CFAI/AIMR used to publish the names of people on the exam committee right in the study guides. They don’t do it anymore. (admittedly, I haven’t looked on the website)

I Would deck him as hard as I can in the face.

It’s true … I wrote questions for the FRM, and was notified that I wouldn’t be told whether my questions would be used until after the exam was over. It makes sense, since if I knew they would be used, and I was unethical, … When I wrote my questions, I tried to address the required body of knowledge and to construct distractors that I thought candidates might think looked reasonable. I really got into trying to formulate the question to ensure that the test takers really understood the concepts and weren’t just randomly guessing. I would bet it’s the same for the CFA, that the exam question writers take the duties very seriously.

LOL, I just thought of a story an old co-worker told me. She used to live in Charlottesville and told me that maybe in the early 90s her neighbor (or friend, not sure) had a at-home project “typing up all these questions for the CFA exam”. Doubt that at-home project happens these days.

i wish to become one. Would b happy to take revenge from future pool of cfa candidates :wink: Might sound mean and immature. I guess im just frustrated from studying like most candidates

Why so serious?

The head of examinations handed me my charter last year. I was a bit afraid I was making a deal with the devil.

Ask them if them if they ever use subtle insider humor in the text and if they have any examples.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ask them if them if they ever use subtle insider > humor in the text and if they have any examples. there was a question in ethics where the legal firm was “Dewey, Cheathem, and Howe” i used to write geometry questions for a standardized test company and it can be pretty complicated. i’d ask the writers what their scope is and what metrics are used to assess candidates.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ask them if them if they ever use subtle insider > humor in the text and if they have any examples. There was a L2 question with the firm being located in Stamford, CT and the the firm abbreviation (AF). We thought it was Joey talking to us from the grave…

“Why do you hate America?”

I played golf with Jeff Diermeier and went to his house for dinner down in Naples (holy shit what a house - $15MM, minimum) during the March before I took level 1, before I really knew what a fucking torturous adventure this would be. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would’ve pissed on his carpets and stolen some artwork.

^^ Dude you could have upper decked him for all of us.

why do you hate me

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I played golf with Jeff Diermeier and went to his > house for dinner down in Naples (holy shit what a > house - $15MM, minimum) during the March before I > took level 1, before I really knew what a fucking > torturous adventure this would be. > > Had I known then what I know now, I probably > would’ve pissed on his carpets and stolen some > artwork. Was that $15m before or after the housing correction? :slight_smile: BIG difference.

i would ask them why they need three paragraphs of intro/background before getting to any relevant information. i hate reading about an how an equity research analyst took his dog to the park last week or how he prefers cool mint toothpaste over wintergreen. if the questions are about hedging exchange rate risk, just get to the point. so, in conclusion, i agree with SuperiorReturn

Superior Return Your response gave me a good laugh

Quant, ask him why they persist with the IPS question in LIII each year when every year they screw it up because it is inconsistent with something from a previous year.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Quant, ask him why they persist with the IPS > question in LIII each year when every year they > screw it up because it is inconsistent with > something from a previous year. Will do, and I’ll take SR’s post into consideration.