What would you do if you were in my situation?

Hi everyone, I just passed my L1 last December and I am about to graduate with a finance degree from a top 30 university in the U.S. However I only have a 2.5GPA (I was a math major before)and it’s almost impossibe for me to bring it up to 3.0 because there s only one more quarter left before graduation. What should I do if i want to go to a top 30 grad school later on? Work 10 yrs before I apply? take a lot of classes in community college and get As? Is there anything I can do to compensate my low GPA? Would it be difficult for me to get an entry job in the investment field? I only have two years experience in two different commerical banks. thanks

Cross that bridge when you get to it.

I have the same concern. My case is different a bit in that I was able to get my GPA up to 3.0, but I’m not graduating from a top 30 university. I’m planning to get the CFA charter first, and with 5+ years of work experience/accomplishment I hope I can make it.

I was wondering how many of your employers asked you guys for your school transcript when you got your first job right out of college?

Movado1108 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was wondering how many of your employers asked > you guys for your school transcript when you got > your first job right out of college? It all depends to the caliber of the places you apply, the position, and your experience. And to the original poster I think you’ll be fine…just keep the GPA off of your resume and highlight your experience. But then again it depends on what type of position you’re trying to get…you didn’t say specifics you just said an entry level job. To be honest with you and to my own experience it’s going to be very competitive when you graduate b/c it doesn’t look like these financial firms are growing much, if at all, in 2008. Apply, apply, apply, expect your job search to last at least 3 months if you want to hold out for a job you like.

that’s amusing, i like the way u say that. Movado1108 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > However I only have a > 2.5GPA (I was a math major before)

cfaprincess Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > that’s amusing, i like the way u say that. > > Movado1108 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > However I only have a > > 2.5GPA (I was a math major before) Well, what can i say? I was in a wrong major. If I get to start college over again, I would probably major in econ or something that’s easy to get As. It was so depressing after tried so hard and forced to switch to a different major in the end of my third yr.

Movado1108 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaprincess Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > that’s amusing, i like the way u say that. > > > > Movado1108 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > However I only have a > > > 2.5GPA (I was a math major before) > > > > > Well, what can i say? > I was in a wrong major. > If I get to start college over again, I would > probably major in econ or something that’s easy to > get As. It was so depressing after tried so hard > and forced to switch to a different major in the > end of my third yr. no worries. i feel ur pain - suffered 2 yrs of overnight coding sessions before transferring to a more “manageable” major and actually enjoyed last 2 years of college the way it should be ;p

don’t business schools only look at your last two years?