What ya' reading?

Oh I’m sure he did. That’s his fav, “be gone you charlatans!” If I remember it was something about her being a hack lazy propagandist posing as a journalist, that’s when I realized maybe this guy was okay.

I can recommend Alex Ferguson with Michal Moritiz Leading. I am not a big fan of football but found it interesting.

*BURN*

https://stevenpinker.com/files/comments_on_taleb_by_s_pinker.pdf

lol!..“Fooled by Belligerence”…hahaha

So, I am about 25% though “The Better Angels of our Nature” and it is enough to start siding with Pinker in assuming Taleb did not actually read the book. Then I finally looked up Pinker’s actual rebuttal to Taleb’s criticisms today. :grin: Oh, this is fun!

I still really like and admire Taleb… and his statistical criticism are on point. They are just criticising an imaginary book that he made up in his head. :confused:

Also, in addition to reading Better Angels, I listened to the Joe Rogan podcast with Pinker as the guest. It ended up reinforcing a growing respect for the guy (this was were he was giving opinions on political tribalism as well as political correctness). I do believe this project of reading both guys at the same time will leave me a fan of both, but also with a better ownership of their ideas as I challenge and compare them all along.

Convoluted Universe and The Three Waves of Volunteers, Delores Cannon

No, basically long optionality/volatility. I started with Fooled by Randomness, then read Black Swan, and most recently Antifragile.

I respect his viewpoints, but he makes my portfolio feel like a tea cup on the edge of a table…

Moonglowby Michael Chabon, I love his writing:

"“The rocket was beautiful. In conception it had been shaped by an artist to break a chain that had bound the human race ever since we first gained consciousness of earth’s gravity and all it’s analogs in suffering, failure and pain. It was at once a prayer sent heavenward and the answer to that prayer: Bear me away from this awful place.”

HA! :grin:

Fun title. I don’t have time to read, but he did strike Taleb’s Achilles’ heel.

I recently bought A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Been meaning to read it for years.

Another person to follow who is relevant to events this century, is Eric Weinstein (Thiel Capital). He’s similar to Taleb in his observation that the core economic system is corrupt, but he’s more measured.

Eric’s theory is near identical to my theory, he just uses his own words and life experiences to frame it. In his theory the US has created “embedded growth obligations” (EGOs) with corporations…the machine has a required return, and it MUST (hence obligation) hit that number (even by cannibalizing the society and fabricating returns). As the Ponzi grows, it turns all the professionals who service the institutions (CFA people, economists, etc) into liars (making up economic stats and equity/vc valuations, lying about the debt, etc). Because if the professionals ever stop lying, the Ponzi collapses. Same as 2008, but now the entire system.

yea… I see him pop up on twitter often. I will look into him.

What’s up with his brother Bret? I see him retweeted often as well (Taleb himself follows him on twitter)

Bret is very smart, and focuses mostly on evolutionary biology (which infuriates the leftists). He did one video on corporatism/externalities, where he showed parallels to evolutionary biology—a self-propagating, fast-growing, adapting system—and why that should be very worrying.

These three all like and respond to my tweets because I’m totally awesome, even though I’m a small-fish.

oh yea…well, I am sure they would like and respond to my tweets too. However my tweets are private since I talk about stripping sometimes and the college I coach at can’t know :confused:

…So they can’t see anything I say :sob:

Actually, Taleb would probably hate my guts since I posted a photo of my bookshelf with “Better Angels” wedged in between “Antifragile” and “Skin in the Game” lololol!

:+1:

ok I tried every combination I can think of and can’t find you. Hints please.

i read this:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a22131572/forbes-kylie-jenner-is-not-a-self-made-billionaire/

"It’s naïve, and lazy, to think a white woman born into fame and the upper classes — a woman with a famous last name, brand cache, a seemingly infinite amount of investment capital to play with, safety nets, and access to a tapestry of resources — is a model for the “self-made” success story that, to many, represents the American Dream.

If you’re going to spin Kylie’s narrative into a rags to riches tale, then I ask: where are the rags? Let me tell you who ought to be the subject of a Dickensian narrative: me, you, us — black women."

Three books running right now:

Sex at Dawn, The Sheltering Sky, Fools Die.

its kmd_katie … but the catch is it is private so in order to see anything, you have to follow me and then I can see who YOU are :wink:

oh man, you think i’m nutty here? your head would explode, but then you would be woke AF. Actually, a good analyst could find me pretty easily if they had the KEY.

Funny how desperate turd is after getting woke

This is not the CFA-hookup section you’re looking for.