What's the best way to start a career change?

Got my bonus numbers today, and generally pretty vexed. I work at a big institutional buyside shop, and it seems like they never properly reward the younger analyst/associates. I’m entering my 3/final year as an associate and have been solely covering telecoms for the last year. However my compensation does not in the least bit reflect that. I have looked to see if there are any oppurtunites on the SS as a associate but given the timing of things, chances dont look too promising. So I’m interested in a firm that would like to develop and retain their younger talent and reward them accordingly to how much hard work one puts in. My problem with these types of hedge funds is, how do they recruit? They usually donthave a careers page, they dont seem to appear very often on Monster.com and the such. I have seen a few on Bloomberg, keyword being a few. Anyways, still pretty steamed about my bonus, and any pointers would be apreciatted.

Where are you, what size is your firm, and what % did your bonus come in at? Just curious, because I am entering my 4th year as an associate on the sell side and not happy with my current compensation structure either.

Didn’t you recently have an interview? For hedge funds, the recruiting is not nearly as well organized as it is at big firms and most of the jobs i hear about are “through the grapevine” rather than a job posting, but it never hurts to check. Hit up your network and if you’ve good relationships with anyone at the sell side, they generally know which of their clients are looking to fill open roles.

mcthorp - 300b AUM, under 20% of salary. And no way working on the sell side u did worse FIAnalyst - yes, but that interview didnt work out, they guy flatout felt I was too “ER influenced”, whatever that means… Already talking to the guys on the sellside sales guys… We will see what happens

Try 17% on for size, with no raise, and a low base, to boot. I could make more working in BO. I am also trying to gauge my next move, but I’m not seeing too many options and feel pretty locked in to my industry, a this point.

buddha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mcthorp - 300b AUM, under 20% of salary. And no > way working on the sell side u did worse > > FIAnalyst - yes, but that interview didnt work > out, they guy flatout felt I was too “ER > influenced”, whatever that means… > > Already talking to the guys on the sellside sales > guys… > > We will see what happens Did they tell you that at the interview, or did HR actually give you feed back (the most feed back i have ever received after a ding was “they went with someone that had more direct experience.”) Are you looking to stay on the buyside? If not, I would expect that some sell side roles will open up as people have migrated over the last month or so, and will continue to do so for a little while longer. You have experience, so the market should be much better for you than for somebody looking to enter with no finance experience.

Is your bonus related to performance of the telecom portion of the portfolio?