What's the longest you have worked without a vacation?

?

Almost 2 tax seasons.

Is a vacation taking off Thursday and Friday to go gambling? If not, 4 years.

how many days constitutes a “vacation”?

Impressed, Turkish. Can’t beat that, I only made it 14 months or so without a single day of vacation. But I worked on every public holiday, if that counts. But for my first four years at this firm I think I never topped more than 15 days vacation time per year. I sure know that people work a lot in this business, but just looking at myself, I often wonder what the point is in working more than 60-65 hours per week. I am plain dead, totally wrought out, after such a week, and if I am lucky, the weekend is just enough to recover and give it another go come next monday. Really, I would really like to know how people _effectively_ work 70+ hours per week and are happy with a couple of days off - per year.

Yeah, I’m thinking my first official vacation related week off has to come in April. Thinking of hitting hilton head for some much needed golf and general relaxation.

2 years 7 months straight-on (but, 1 day I left at around 1.00 PM (Fri) for my VISA interview)

When I was on the sell-side, I averaged about 65 work hours per week (this will probably get worse now that I work in PE). I have taken at least 12 vacation days every year that I have worked. At first, I thought that spending long peroids in the office would make management or my superiors appreciate me more. As soon as I realized how wrong I was, I made sure to make good use of my vacation days.

how about longest time without a DAY off (aka work on weekends). bout 4 months for me.

Daddy-Bear Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I sure know that people work a lot in this > business, but just looking at myself, I often > wonder what the point is in working more than > 60-65 hours per week. I am plain dead, totally > wrought out, after such a week, and if I am lucky, > the weekend is just enough to recover and give it > another go come next monday. Really, I would > really like to know how people _effectively_ work > 70+ hours per week and are happy with a couple of > days off - per year. i think how many hrs you are willing to work is completely a matter of perception. i work maybe 55-75 hours a week and am pretty fine with it b/c i look at my buddies in banking and other sell-side shops who put in a ton more hours than i do. i even know consultants who work longer hours. so i look at my peer group and on a $/hr basis i’m about inline. this is in nyc btw. i feel like everyone in nyc works longer hours in their respective fields than they would elsewhere. i could be off but i feel like the 100+ hr/week banker culture spills over to other sectors… you just kinda point and think to yourself at least i’m not working as much as those guys. on the flipside if you’re out of new york in a place that isn’t so dominated by finance a 50 hr wk starts to look pretty unreasonable when everyone else is doing straight 9 to 5.

I always take two 10 day vacations per year every six months and usually go somewhere exotic where I can be my pimp-self.

pimp, u mean china/vietnam?

I’m French, so not very long. However, this year I will go 11 months without a vacation so that I can go to the Far East for 4 weeks. You can’t even imagine the &%^# I’m going to do.

wow, i was on an “every 6 months” schedule before, but now I was bitc**** that i have to wait 9 months for my next one. I really should be thankful after reading the posts above. but some weeks, i feel like i’m having a mild heart attack, i try and make use of any free time i have. TIP: Some light cardio with some daily Omega 3 fish oil pills works wonders on your mood and stress.

CFAdetroit Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how about longest time without a DAY off (aka work > on weekends). bout 4 months for me. Jeez…what do you do? I don’t even know of any I-bankers that work EVERYDAY for four months…

summer job working on the grounds crew at a golf course. holidays and weekends were prime days to work. eight hour days so its not to bad, but the manual labor part of it drains you quick. hard to pass up on OT money when you have to pay for college. Made for a good mitigant when i was interviewing for jobs and they asked if i had the work ethic needed

I haven’t taken any kind of vacation since the summer of 2002. I don’t believe in spending the money.

Etienne Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m French, so not very long. However, this year > I will go 11 months without a vacation so that I > can go to the Far East for 4 weeks. You can’t > even imagine the &%^# I’m going to do. Etienne, Can I send you an e-mail off this topic? Or you could e-mail me at dieselbp67@hotmail.com. I am planning a trip to France for this summer now,and could def use some insight.

^^^ Not meaning to blow you off. I am a terrible person to ask this to. First, I’ve lived in various countries, so have only spent about 5 years in France (Paris). Second, and most importantly, the strange thing is that I haven’t even got any pointers for Paris. That’s partly because I haven’t lived there in a while and partly because I never did “click” with the city. As a matter of fact, I was listening to someone (a British guy) last night drone on and on about how great the nightlife is. He often goes for the weekend to party. I was extremely surprised. On Paris, I would say that you should definitely pay the premium to stay centrally. Paris’ charm is the vibe you get walking through her streets. Otherwise, hit up Nice, St Tropez or Monte Carlo. The people-watching is amazing and you will go back to work determined to get rich quick or die trying…

thanks for the pointers etienne, i booked my flight today, so im pretty excited. we were planning to do 4 nights in Paris, 3 in Nice with a day trip to Monte Carlo