when applying for job in finance .. about transcript

do investment banking/ finance employers usually ask to see your undergraduate academic transcript during application/interview process , or after you get an offer?.. do do they not even ask at all if you are in between switching jobs… and not right out of school? please give me some feedback!

how bad did you fib on the resume?

prob just upped it by .2 HAHA, but thats because i counted transfer credits from other school so if you think about it it is KIND OF legit

hellomello Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > prob just upped it by .2 HAHA, but thats because i > counted transfer credits from other school so if > you think about it it is KIND OF legit if your transcript doesn’t reflect that, don’t do it.

Dude, if your transcript says 3.4, you can’t put 3.6. That is called lying on your application…

Jeffrey Chiang???

Whatever is written within the 8.5" x 11" confines of your resume is subject to verification. If I was in HR I would ding anyone who had any false information at all on their resume.

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Whatever is written within the 8.5" x 11" confines > of your resume is subject to verification. If I > was in HR I would ding anyone who had any false > information at all on their resume. Maybe he could make a note about it being “total undergraduate GPA” vs just at the school? I dunno if that’s common or acceptable practice.

i’m not technically lying im just lazy to explain all that out. if proof of evidence were needed, i would be able to provide it. it is technically my cumulative. its how you display it out that really matters. im not getting any feedback from my original question…???

Ok this is just my interpretation, but I believe in many cases (like if you already have relevant experience) it’s just a formality. Some kind of internal compliance thing. But if we’re talking about something like an entry-level role at top consultancies / BB IB, then they might look into it.

The answer is if you are 0-2 years out of school, there is a good chance that they will ask for your transcript. Beyond that, they *might* ask, but it gets less likely.

ok two words… NEVER LIE on your resume. Its not only humiliating to get caught but what if the company forbids you from applying. They might even distribute this info over lunch, two managers… diff comapnies…discussing stuff over lunch.

Start looking for jobs with other companies after you update your resume. An IB rescinded my job offer because they, and my recruiter, both didn’t realize my resume clearly said “finance concentration gpa: 3.8” and they both thought this was my overall gpa. they made an offer assuming this was overall gpa (note i did not mislead them at all - also they never verbally asked for my overall gpa). Once they realized (probably someone higher up noticed) that they didn’t actually have cum gpa, they finally asked, i told them the truth, they weren’t impressed, and the rest (and my job offer) was history. IBs take gpas very seriously and they sure as hell don’t like people getting creative with how they arrive at their gpa. They chalk it up to people having a serious character flaw.

I say you should take a couple of UofP courses until you reach at least 3.8.

psn0706 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Start looking for jobs with other companies after > you update your resume. > > An IB rescinded my job offer because they, and my > recruiter, both didn’t realize my resume clearly > said “finance concentration gpa: 3.8” and they > both thought this was my overall gpa. they made > an offer assuming this was overall gpa (note i did > not mislead them at all - also they never verbally > asked for my overall gpa). Once they realized > (probably someone higher up noticed) that they > didn’t actually have cum gpa, they finally asked, > i told them the truth, they weren’t impressed, and > the rest (and my job offer) was history. > > IBs take gpas very seriously and they sure as hell > don’t like people getting creative with how they > arrive at their gpa. They chalk it up to people > having a serious character flaw. I guess it was worth it for you to put finance concentration gpa because you wouldn’t even be looked at if you had put your overall gpa. You had a better than 0% chance with the former as opposed to 0% with the latter.

hellomello Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m not technically lying im just lazy to explain > all that out. if proof of evidence were needed, i > would be able to provide it. it is technically my > cumulative. its how you display it out that > really matters. You’re lying if your resume reads like: Harvard University 3.8 cumulative GPA as opposed to: Harvard University 2.5 cumulative GPA University of Phoenix 4.0 cumulative GPA If you list one cumulative GPA under one school as opposed to two GPAs under two schools, you’re lying.