When can I use ", CFA" ?

I’m now a regular member of CFAI and my local society. Am I permitted to use the letters after my name immediately upon receipt of a “pass” email for Level 3, or is there another step still after that?

I’m pretty sure you have to pay the fee first.

Everything’s paid from a membership standpoint. Is there another fee for them to “award the charter?”

You will get a separate email indicating you can use it. If you’re a regular member it should only be a week or so after the exam results.

Also, when you log into the CFA Inst. website, you should see it after your name. If you don’t , then they don’t have it in their database yet, and you can’t use it.

Did you pay your dues and sign the PCP statement? There was an example about this dude who took a bike ride through China for a few years and was still using the letters behind his name. Turned out to be a violation.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There was an example about this dude who took a > bike ride through China for a few years… Musta been one hell of a bike ride!

Any questions, call the CFA Institute and ask them… they’re reliable.

Once you pass L3 and have met the work requirements and paid your dues, CFAI will send you a letter (or maybe email) saying something like “Your charter is being prepared, blah blah blah. You should receive it in the mail shortly. You may now use the CFA designation.” Usually it takes a week or two after this email for it to show up on the directory but you can still use it during that time. I seem to recall getting that letter sometime in September or maybe really early October. Bottom line is you cannot use the designation until they tell you, even if you passed L3, have your work experience approved and paid your dues.

> Once you pass L3 and have met the work requirements and paid your dues, CFAI will send you a letter IIRC, there’s an important step in the process you’ve left out: _CFAI must award you the charter_. They meet several times/yr to do this. There’s always a meeting shortly after the L3 test results to sweep in everyone who had all their other boxes checked. They may then meet perhaps monthly through the autumn, awarding a batch of charters each time.

What do you call yourself if you have passed L III but have not yet met the work requirements?

nothing, you indicate you’ve passed all 3 levels and are working on the work experience

I think the CFAI sending you a letter or email saying you can now use the designation implies that they’ve awarded you the charter. They aren’t going to tell you to use the designation if you haven’t been awarded the charter. I didn’t feel the need to spell that out in the explanation since it seemed obvious. DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > IIRC, there’s an important step in the process > you’ve left out: _CFAI must award you the > charter_. > > They meet several times/yr to do this. There’s > always a meeting shortly after the L3 test results > to sweep in everyone who had all their other boxes > checked. They may then meet perhaps monthly > through the autumn, awarding a batch of charters > each time.

I just finally applied recently and got an email saying I was approved for active membership. Anyway after paying the dues etc, I can go and search my name and see it with CFA after (and confirming the date I was awarded the charter)…so I never got any email saying I could use it, but based on this it shows it is ok.

So can we start using the designation now (after your name on resume, on Linkedin, business cards, etc) ….?

Or do we need to wait for the CFAI to tell us that we can start using the letters, in an official email/letter?

Don’t want to jump the gun…cheers!