When you resigned from your last job, did you...

I’m on another continent… people generally have three months’ notice which must seem totally crazy to all of you. Minimum is one month, and that has to be agreed on separately in most cases, three months’ seems to be the norm with almost everybody. Seldom heard of anyone having to clear out their desk the very same day they resign, much to the frustration of the one who intends to leave but who has to hang in there for another three months/ninety days! Clearing out the desk and being walked out would only happen in the case of a severe criminal offense. From the employers viewpoint notice has to be between three months (most common) up to six months (if the person has been working there for > 10 years), with full pay the entire time. Sometimes there is a severence package that would come out on top, at the end of the stretched out notice period for, say, another six months. But that’s the way it is here, making the hiring and firing of people somewhat sluggish (understatement). Job protection does not apply to a managing director, the only person who can be fired without notice or explanation (which is mirrored in the pay check) but I’ve rarely seen that happen either. There are no exit interviews though.

How about being truthfully to your employer? “Lying” or being economical with the truth to your employer is unprofessional and unethical as well as being in breach of CFA Ethics Code 22.3.2.3.xi.a subsection c.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The exit interviewer at my firm is pretty drop > dead amazing …uhhh…a-hem. > > Willy you should interview her exit =) (sorry…bad joke)

( ! )

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I lateraled from one BB to another a couple > years ago, I was prepared to give two weeks’ > notice but was asked to leave the premises > immediately lol

Lol…wouldn’t her exit be the back door though? Not really my scene. I would be more of an interviewer of entrances…hehehe. Willy

MehdiOchre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m on another continent… people generally have > three months’ notice which must seem totally crazy > to all of you. Minimum is one month, and that has > to be agreed on separately in most cases, three > months’ seems to be the norm with almost > everybody. Seldom heard of anyone having to clear > out their desk the very same day they resign, much > to the frustration of the one who intends to leave > but who has to hang in there for another three > months/ninety days! Clearing out the desk and > being walked out would only happen in the case of > a severe criminal offense. From the employers > viewpoint notice has to be between three months > (most common) up to six months (if the person has > been working there for > 10 years), with full pay > the entire time. Sometimes there is a severence > package that would come out on top, at the end of > the stretched out notice period for, say, another > six months. But that’s the way it is here, making > the hiring and firing of people somewhat sluggish > (understatement). Job protection does not apply to > a managing director, the only person who can be > fired without notice or explanation (which is > mirrored in the pay check) but I’ve rarely seen > that happen either. > > There are no exit interviews though. Where are u from MedhiOchre ?

Here’s a question for you guys. I am leaving my job soon but my firm doesn’t know that. I don’t want to give two weeks (this place makes me want to throw up). I checked my employment contract and it specifically states that “employment is at will by both parties.” In other words, do I have to give notice? I know giving notice is the right thing to do, but I really don’t want to be here for two more weeks than I need to be. Any thoughts about this situation would be appreciated.

asdffdsa, that was the exact situation I was in. Typically, it’s courteous to give two weeks’ notice, but sometimes you can’t or simply don’t want to. If you look at your contract, and assuming it is employment-at-will, it should say something to the effect of how both the employer and the employee may “terminate employment at any time for any reason or for no reason at all.” That means that you can give two weeks’ notice (advisable if you don’t want to burn bridges); otherwise, if you can do one week, that would be fine too. If you really hate the place, you can give same-day notice, or even just pack up your stuff and walk out without saying a word. The benefit to the latter is that you’ll still remain on payroll until someone in human resources realizes that you’re not actually with the company anymore (which may actually be a while, because human resources personnel are not known to be the “fastest” creatures on the planet, if you know what I am saying).

numi - until payroll “fixes the glitch” If you are leaving for a competitor I don’t think it’s in anyone’s best interest to stay the two weeks. If I were the employer, I wouldn’t want someone who is going to leave hanging around. They could steal information, clients, people, etc. Of course, they could have been doing all that damage before they gave notice. My suggestion to my current employer will be for me to leave immediately but then to make myself available for up to two weeks on a contract/consultant basis. Of course, I’m going to make my hourly rate 3x my current. :stuck_out_tongue:

And remember for at-will, if the employer is the ones asking you to leave, they will give you no notice at all, you will just be hustled out the door. I didn’t give 2 weeks at my last job, it was more like 9 days. But as numi says, it is courteous and expected to give 2 weeks notice and if you don’t, and the new employer finds out, it won’t leave a good impression. haha on HR ! I worked for a place where someone they hired up and quit within the first week, she just sent an email that she wasn’t coming back. My former manager said she ended up getting a month of pay before HR got around to straightening it out! One thing you can do and have probably already thought of, is to go on vacation for the last two weeks, effectively resigning immediately.

B

MedhiOchre are you from Norway? Or in Norway I guess…

give 2 weeks and never burn your bridges.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …And if they retroactively bite me > in the arse I’ll be ready. I’ve tons of dirt on > these people. The thing is, there are so many ways to screw someone over that might never come to light. Giving them a piece of your mind might feel good, and might even be well deserved. But it comes at a cost, and you never know when the bill will come due or how much it will be for. So, the safe way to play it is to be positive or non-committal.

I wanted to tell off a former boss at an exit interview or use a lot of sarcasm, but he had some great sayings, and one is “Life is long and the world is small.” I took that advice, even though he clearly knew I was frustrated, and haven’t regretted it. Actually, he was probably a decent guy; he probably just resented inheriting me when my previous boss moved, and we had had earlier problems interacting for reasons that were more institutional (our jobs kind of required that we be on opposite sides of an issue) than personal.

“you do what you gotta do”

I finished off my 2-weeks; industry standard. I didn’t want to just leave. Willy