When you resigned from your last job, did you...

A - finish out your 2 weeks or B - get walked out I’ve finished out 2+ weeks in prior situations. Not sure what will happen next time.

i’ve been at same firm for way too long but everyone here gets walked out… most set up a time and do an exit interview sometime over the next few days afterwards with HR

B - Not walked out, but they said clean out your desk and hand in your key. I’ve heard of places that walk you out and ship your personal items to you.

When I quit my last job, I gave five days’ notice - wanted to leave sooner but we were in the middle of earnings season and my boss and management asked me to stay just a bit longer to ease the transition When I lateraled from one BB to another a couple years ago, I was prepared to give two weeks’ notice but was asked to leave the premises immediately

I shat on the bosses desk and was asked to leave the premises…

I gave and received two weeks. Although tomorrow when they do walk me out, I will have an exit interview to relinquish my blackberry, laptop, corporate amex and a few other items. Interesting is that I have been asked to fill out an exit questionnaire. I’m wondering whether this is the same as the exit interview you guys mention above? My exit questionnaire is all about how I liked working here. I feel this are bogus because, to state the obvious, I quit. I’m not likely to truely feel in-love with a firm I dropped right? But even still, I have to answer these questions positively. Willy

Exit interviews are such a joke - they ask you all the questions they should have asked while you were actually employed there. I don’t think there is any benefit to answering them truthfully if you have anything negative to say, since they might hold it against you in the future. You never know. At a former place where I had a very lukewarm relationship with my boss, I simply said “I’d rather not comment on the past - I’m looking towards the future.” Obviously the Mark McGwire-like response isn’t what Human Resources is looking for, but it sure beats ripping people on your way out even if that’s how you truly felt.

^ wise advice. although it’d probably be good for your employer to hear how you really feel, i’d temper your remarks and leave it on a positive note for sake of future recommendations, etc. exit interviews are kind of dumb.

I was a little more blunt with HR at one job I left. I explained how I was frustrated by the lack of opportunities because of the firm’s bias towards hiring from outside (new ideas must be good ideas…). I made plenty of genuinely positive comments as well to keep it balanced and not sound like I was leaving with a chip on my shoulder (I wasn’t).

I just told them I would clean it up…

Numi, I feel one the one hand compelled to answer the questions truthfully because I think it’ll help. The HR people will think me sincere since I’m literally out the door. Willy

Best to keep your mouth shut and keep the connections. Show some maturity, dont burn your bridges ya never know who will wind up in a position to help you… even if its 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

GenY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Best to keep your mouth shut and keep the > connections. > > Show some maturity, dont burn your bridges ya > never know who will wind up in a position to help > you… even if its 5, 10, 20 years down the road. Yup. If you don’t have something nice to say then don’t say anything :slight_smile:

Ya but a little constructive criticism is useful. I got tons of it here for doing the right thing and now I’m leaving BECAUSE of it. I hated being pressured into saying things I didn’t agree with and always resisted. No one can knock me for doing the right thing. And if they retroactively bite me in the arse I’ll be ready. I’ve tons of dirt on these people. And besides, the way things are going over here, they have WAY more important things to do than fry good old Willy R. Willy

I’m going to keep my mouth shut at this place. If they can’t figured it out on their own, god help 'em. Not only that but I don’t feel like spending 3 hours on a Friday talking about it.

I just think that sometimes someone has to step up and call b.s. when they see it. Willy

Normally, I would have offered constructive criticism to HR if I felt like there was anything to gain; however, my former manager was one of the least constructive people I know so I viewed it as a lost cause, hence my “no comment” replies during my exit interviews. Plus, I didn’t want to get into a huge protracted dialogue with people I didn’t really care about.

Ya but the thing is Numi, if I just “no comment” my way through the who thing they’ll truly suspect something is up for example, that I was being asked to do unethical stuff [not too far removed from the truth for the record] but anyways I think that if I structure my commentary positively it can be a win, even if I do beraid these pathetic losers who shouldn’t be allow within 100Km of a client with over $100,000 in the process. Willy

Well that sounds good. Exit interviews are not meant to be taken seriously so any plan that isn’t completely self-destructive sounds reasonable enough.

The exit interviewer at my firm is pretty drop dead amazing [about the only thing the firm has going for it…hehehe]…uhhh…a-hem. Willy