Where did you learn to use excel?

College, out of a book, on a course given by employer, as part of your employment duties or elsewhere? I’m currently going through the VBA section in an excel book and it is sloooooow. I’m no natural thats for sure. Everyone in my team uses excel as end users all day every day, but no one is advanced enough to funkify it to do new things. So i’m just trying to move along the learning curve and add something else in my locker. What’s the best way to gain this knowledge quickly?? I know there are some highly proficient users on this forum. Also, i’m doing this while sitting at my desk (and not analysing investments) - does that count as work?

I would say work experience helps you manipulate excel and learn pretty new stuff relevant to what you are doing. However, I did a course in Financial Modelling(using Benninga) as part of my MBA. I have a soft copy of Microsoft’s Inside Out - Excel 2007 by Mark Dodge (about 1,070 pages and excel files) and can share if you wish. I also find it helpful.

I learned it on the job. I knew the basics from before, but with courses in University it was just in one ear and out the other if you didn’t have to do it frequently.

I taught myself, mostly while I was in the Navy, and I learned a good bit after I got out and went to college.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would say work experience helps you manipulate > excel and learn pretty new stuff relevant to what > you are doing. However, I did a course in > Financial Modelling(using Benninga) as part of my > MBA. > > I have a soft copy of Microsoft’s Inside Out - > Excel 2007 by Mark Dodge (about 1,070 pages and > excel files) and can share if you wish. I also > find it helpful. I’d love a copy, please e-mail it to BankinAF@gmail.com. Thanks

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would say work experience helps you manipulate > excel and learn pretty new stuff relevant to what > you are doing. However, I did a course in > Financial Modelling(using Benninga) as part of my > MBA. > > I have a soft copy of Microsoft’s Inside Out - > Excel 2007 by Mark Dodge (about 1,070 pages and > excel files) and can share if you wish. I also > find it helpful. Oh- I cannot resist. Can you please send it to me too. akanska2 at google mail. I’d greatly appreciate it! (or Bankin if you could forward)

akanska or Bankin can you send me a copy? Sounds like good stuff. dwight.cfa at gmail.com

This book is more than 50MB(excluding the excel files), and gmail has a limit of 2MB. I am trying to upload on filefactory.com but its not working - any one knows a file sharing website may help.

Google for “file hosting” websites. Try rapidshare perhaps? I’d like a download link when you are done as well please. kblade44 at gmail.com

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This book is more than 50MB(excluding the excel > files), and gmail has a limit of 2MB. > > I am trying to upload on filefactory.com but its > not working - any one knows a file sharing website > may help. Yousendit Lite https://www.yousendit.com/cms/compareaccounts

I always liked the “missing manual” series best

Well, seems it will take a while. I will post the link later today.

OTJ. On the job!

Excel is making me mad right now. My 1000 tab mega-model won’t refresh/recalculate. Nothing will make the model recalc other than clicking in each cell…which isn’t possible.

Megaupload is pretty good too .

I used “The Excel Bible” during my internship to teach myself, it’s a pretty good resource. I got the updated version for 2007 but haven’t looked at it yet.

on da job

I learned Excel VBA programming briefly in my reservoir engineering course, but financial related stuff in my economics classes in school, on the job, and through a WSP bootcamp

i never did

i learned it on the job. different people want different functionalities in various models, especially the ad hoc ones. so, i had to google whatever i needed to do.