Where is a good place to live in the sf or bay area ?

Where is a good place to live in the sf or bay area if you were going to be working in palo alto? Which areas outside of sanfrancisco has the best nightlife for 20 something s? Is it easy to commute from sf to palo alto? Thanks in advance

If you’re going to work in Palo Alto, your best is to live closer – you definitely don’t want to drive down from SF all the time if you have a hectic work schedule. Living in Palo Alto can be pricey, so I would also suggest considering living in Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Redwood City. You’ll be within a 20-25 minute drive. Outside of San Francisco, I’d say Stanford has pretty good “nightlife”…but seriously, aside from that, your best bet for bars and clubs and stuff will be in SF. Cupertino also has quite a few restaurants and stuff like that open late at night.

Palo Alto itself has decent night life. If you want to live in between SF and Palo Alto, then maybe Redwood City.

I’m moving to SF in a few months for a new job. They put me up in Soma wich i heard is pretty solid? anyone else know about this area?

SOMA is a hot spot, especially near the Ball Park. Lots of condos and bars. Having lived in SF for years, the traffic is bad, not LA bad, but bad. My suggestion is to live close to work, and don’t hastle with the traffic. But, if you’re wanting to be close to the action, the SOMA isn’t a bad place. Don’t go to North Beach/Marina district. It would take you an extra 1/2 hour just to get down to the 101 or 280 South. Twin Peaks isn’t bad, closer to 280. The other thing to consider is $$! The closer to SF the higher the cost.

mountain view, relatively cheap rent

I would suggest Foster City. It is not a really happenin place, but it is clean, safe, nice, convenient, etc.

Agreed with both Mountain View and Foster City, actually…so it turns out that there are quite a few places to live outside Palo Alto that are relatively reasonable. Just don’t think about living in Palo Alto or Menlo Park if you’re hoping to save $$.

im from cupertino!!! but night life in norcal is somewhat… limited… everything closes at 9pm sharp.

i love the mission in san francisco, but i wouldn’t dare commute to palo alto from there.

You would be commuting well over an hour from SF to Palo Alto. I like Palo Alto. Not quite as exciting as the city, but you definately could have a good time. I live in Redwood City and really like the area. From here, you dont have to take the 101 to get to work (Palo Alto) which allows you to avoid traffic. I also like Menlo Park, which is slightly more expensive, but appeals to the younger crowd due to its proximity to Stanford. I previously lived in Mtn View, and I will say that I didnt enjoy it as much. There are too many people there and its dirty. Hopefully that doesnt offend anyone. Either way…you can move after 6 months or so (depending on lease - assuming you are renting) and live in a city that suits your needs.

You would be commuting well over an hour from SF to Palo Alto. I like Palo Alto. Not quite as exciting as the city, but you definately could have a good time. I live in Redwood City and really like the area. From here, you dont have to take the 101 to get to work (Palo Alto) which allows you to avoid traffic. I also like Menlo Park, which is slightly more expensive, but appeals to the younger crowd due to its proximity to Stanford. I previously lived in Mtn View, and I will say that I didnt enjoy it as much. There are too many people there and its dirty. Hopefully that doesnt offend anyone. Either way…you can move after 6 months or so (depending on lease - assuming you are renting) and live in a city that suits your needs.

golfmaniac Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SOMA is a hot spot, especially near the Ball Park. > Lots of condos and bars. Having lived in SF for > years, the traffic is bad, not LA bad, but bad. > My suggestion is to live close to work, and don’t > hastle with the traffic. But, if you’re wanting > to be close to the action, the SOMA isn’t a bad > place. Don’t go to North Beach/Marina district. > It would take you an extra 1/2 hour just to get > down to the 101 or 280 South. Twin Peaks isn’t > bad, closer to 280. The other thing to consider > is $$! The closer to SF the higher the cost. So is it worth having a car in SF? I was quoted $200/mo. underground parking…

When I was growing up, Palo Alto was boring… but it has perked up after the dot commers moved in. I’ve heard that San Jose has some nice night areas, especially if you like Latin music.

you want a car for the weekends. virtually every area has some free street parking somewhere.