Where is the line for you?

I know there are some hustlers on AF, and I’m curious to know how you think. Is it possible for someone to be too ambitious? The thread about relationships and ambition got me thinking about this. How much would you sacrifice to achieve your goals? Obviously, the question is slanted toward working in the financial services industry, of which passing the CFA is a potentially a big part. The intent of the question though is longer-term in nature, i.e., a meaningful portion of your career and not a short-term push to pass some exams. Would you sacifice a relationship? Friends? Time with your family? Your health? Where do you draw the line? Assume you have a very good fast track opportunity that pays $200K+ all in and potentially a lot more in the future (I’m referring to the sort of job most people on this board seem to be after) but is exceptionally demanding – basically, you work for Gordon Gekko, sans the insider trading.

meaning that i would work for GG and am entitled to bjs and lines of coke in an 80s lincoln limo…IN

Ill do/sacrifice pretty much anything except my health. I need to work out to keep on an even keel. Anything else is just luggage. I guess I like having drinking buddies and getting some play, but health comes first.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ill do/sacrifice pretty much anything except my > health. I need to work out to keep on an even > keel. > > Anything else is just luggage. > > I guess I like having drinking buddies and getting > some play, but health comes first. In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

JensensalphaMale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Ill do/sacrifice pretty much anything except my > > health. I need to work out to keep on an even > > keel. > > > > Anything else is just luggage. > > > > I guess I like having drinking buddies and > getting > > some play, but health comes first. > > > In this country, you gotta make the money first. > Then when you get the money, you get the power. > Then when you get the power, then you get the > women. I think you’re supposed to get some khakis somewhere in between there as well - but I’m not sure where.

^ Lol.

JensensalphaMale Wrote: > > In this country, you gotta make the money first. > Then when you get the money, you get the power. > Then when you get the power, then you get the > women. Nice reference to a great film.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know there are some hustlers on AF, and I’m > curious to know how you think. Is it possible for > someone to be too ambitious? > > The thread about relationships and ambition got me > thinking about this. How much would you sacrifice > to achieve your goals? Obviously, the question is > slanted toward working in the financial services > industry, of which passing the CFA is a > potentially a big part. The intent of the question > though is longer-term in nature, i.e., a > meaningful portion of your career and not a > short-term push to pass some exams. Would you > sacifice a relationship? Friends? Time with your > family? Your health? Where do you draw the line? > Assume you have a very good fast track opportunity > that pays $200K+ all in and potentially a lot more > in the future (I’m referring to the sort of job > most people on this board seem to be after) but is > exceptionally demanding – basically, you work for > Gordon Gekko, sans the insider trading. I have a good friend that is married w/2 kids, works non-stop (in finance) and travels 3-5 days/week. He makes a lot of money, and plans to retire by age 45…but by then, his kids will be in high school/college, and won’t be home much anyway. I don’t have kids yet, but once I do I will be less career focused that I am now. I’d rather work until I am 60 than miss out on quality time with my family and friends.

You guys create false paradigms. I’ve worked in asset management and the sell side since 1994. I manage instiutional money now. I work far less than I did at 22 trying to make the future I have now, and make 25x the money (no joke). I make moeny for clients and I see my kids far more than my buddies who have normal job (retail bank manager). I take those guys familes out to dinner. If you are good at equity reserach there is no need to kill yourself. Your life will be easier than normal people. You all need to be patient.

In my case: Kids > Money > Anything else. Also, even if you have an extremely demanding workoad, that cannot be used as an excuse to let you have poor health. That’s simply dumb.

steph96 Wrote: > I’d rather work until I am 60 than miss out on quality > time with my family and friends. I second that.

JensensalphaMale Wrote: > In this country, you gotta make the money first. > Then when you get the money, you get the power. > Then when you get the power, then you get the > women. Yes this is so true, a summary the united states way of things. It all breaks down of course. The above is necessary because the women of the US have let themselves get suckered into power, control, status, and shoes. So in order to get any, the guys go the route of power/money…cause guys just wanna get some. Then they get some, victory, but the victory is the getting of a status needy power-freak woman. This eventually ends in divorce and she takes all your money and you go back to zero. Start over try again. If you look around a huge % of american males go this route, it keeps not working, but they don’t know what else to do. Human servants of the massive consumption driven machine.

^^^Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking when I was at a vegetarian restaurant owner’s marriage to a high end furniture builder’s engagement party last weekend. A lot of people do what they want, and some people want shoes, money, power and khakis.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JensensalphaMale Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > nuppal Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Ill do/sacrifice pretty much anything except > my > > > health. I need to work out to keep on an even > > > keel. > > > > > > Anything else is just luggage. > > > > > > I guess I like having drinking buddies and > > getting > > > some play, but health comes first. > > > > > > In this country, you gotta make the money > first. > > Then when you get the money, you get the power. > > Then when you get the power, then you get the > > women. > > I think you’re supposed to get some khakis > somewhere in between there as well - but I’m not > sure where. Haha. I think you’re right. I’m up for any suggestions as to where we should input it.

no matter how ambitious, it appears that people are unwilling to give up AF.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no matter how ambitious, it appears that people > are unwilling to give up AF. So true. I’ve almost completly stopped ‘surfing’ the web. Too busy, I always find time for AF though. It’s like an intellectual (some times not) oasis from an otherwise troglodite desert.