Where to find common shares outstanding?

What resource should I use to find the most update figure for the number of common shares outstanding for a publicly traded company? The annual (and interim) reports usually give a weighted average figure and/or may not include financings that may have occured after the date that the statements cover (i.e. the balance sheet might be for the end of March but is only released in May and in April the company might have raised more shares). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think what you’re doing is probably the best bet, unless you can get access to a Bloomberg terminal. If you can, there is an excellent manual on Bloomberg equity fundamentals that you can download here: http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/pdfiles/Bloombergfull.pdf

In addition to the weighted average figure that you mentioned, the first page of Form 10-Qs also disclose the current number of shares outstanding as of the date of the filing. If you’re concerned about potential share issuances subsequent to this date, a quick Edgar seach (on www.sec.gov), and/or the company’s website, would reveal this.